The Sacramento Spanish Language Meetup Group Message Board › New member and seeking homeschool spanish resources

New member and seeking homeschool spanish resources

A former member
Post #: 10
Hello everybody. My name is Dena. I took spanish in highschool and one course in college and I now homeschool my daughter. She is interested in learning spanish and so far I have just been pointing at things and telling her if I know the word in spanish and teaching basic dialogues. I was wondering if anybody has any favorite resources for teaching spanish as a second language to kids. I also was curious if anybody here has ever had a meetup for families with kids to meet and let the kids practice.
Phil
TrueBrit
Ajijic, MX
Post #: 31
Hi Dena,
You didn't say how old your daughter is, or whether she has exposure at school. Or why she is interested in learning Spanish. Whatever the situation, it is obviously something that should be encouraged. I found this resource on the web..Learning a Second Language: How Parents Can Help http://www.greatschoo...­
And once her Spanish is better than yours, have her teach you. Teaching something is a great way to learn it (you can even feign ignorance, she will love teaching her mum a thing or two).
My only advice is to keep it fun. Univision (Channel 19) has lots of cartoons in Spanish (Dora the Exploradora, etc.) and VMe (Channel 6.3) has Plaza Sesamo (Sesame Street in Spanish).
And you can always bring her to our meet-ups. We are very kid friendly. And the more you improve your Spanish, the better you will be able to help your daughter.
Good luck
Phil