DM Spanish Conversation Group Message Board › Des Moines Spanish Meetup Group Meeting

Des Moines Spanish Meetup Group Meeting

Ed A.
Des Moines, IA
Hola todos!

My name is Ed Andrews and I have recently become the Organizer (what a title!) of the Des Moines Spanish Meetup group that meets every third Tuesday (as of Feb 15, 2005 it's now EVERY Tuesday) evening at 7 pm. I am excited about the opportunity. I am writing for two reasons: first to introduce myself, and secondly to ask for your help.

If you know me, you already know that I believe that *speaking* Spanish is the real way to learn Spanish. Books and audiotapes are wonderful, but speaking and interaction are priceless.

My Spanish language experience includes two semesters in high school, one semester in college, a Spanish audio course, engaging some of my Hispanic friends in conversation, and my personal favorite, watching Flaca y Gordo on Telemundo once or twice a month to see how many words I can pick out. As you can see, I'm definitely not fluent, but I'm on my way, and I try to learn at least one word a day.

Now that you know all about me, let's talk about you.

You obviously have an interest in speaking Spanish, or you would not have signed up. Becoming active and joining with us for a few evenings each month is a way that you can have fun, and meet other people who share your same interest -- learning Spanish. And, since I'm providing the food for the first few months, you even get to munch for free. What a great way to learn!

So far, just a few people have joined, and as we are just really beginning, this is a great time to get to know everyone, and to see us become an active group. Oh yeah. Did I mention that I need your help?

Over the course of the next year, I'd like to see this grow to about 20-30 people, and have at least 10 people at each meeting. Again, we are just beginning, and we are doing this one person at a time, so your assistance -- and attendance -- is needed.

I ask that you please join me this Tuesday at Barnes & Noble on University Avenue in West Des Moines for our weekly meeting. Perhaps we can begin by talking about the irony of having our first Spanish gathering at a French cafe :-)

First, please go to http://spanish.meetup...­ and RSVP. And second, please show up. If you have any questions, or need transportation, please email me by clicking on the envelope icon, and I'll get right back to you.

Thanks for your time.

Ed Andrews