Lorraine LLB
user 6527877
Group Organizer
New Orleans, LA
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
La verdad es que soy muy floja. No mandé las notas para las dos ultimas reunions. Pero aqui estan, con las de ayer…

Some notes sourced from the Real Academia:

Clams are "almejas".

Mussels are "mejillones".

A crab is "cangrejo" but in many Latin American countries, including Mexico, a crab can be a "jaiba".

In Puerto Rico, land crabs (as opposed to crabs that swim) are called "jueyes". No one tells me what Puerto Ricans call seafaring crabs. (Perhaps Daniel can find out in December!) "Jueyes" for some reason, sounded to me a lot like the word "huelle", which means to trample.

And I think we had confirmed earlier that a jellyfish is a "medusa".

An alligator is indeed a "caimán"; I was wrong about this one.

Two weeks ago we were looking for the word for grains, as in wheat, rye, barley, etc. You can call them "granos" but that is more a reference to the seed—as in a grain of wheat. You might want to refer to the grains as "las plantas gramíneas". (Or at least that is what the Real Academia would have you think.)

At some point we talked about being expelled or suspended from school. It seems that in Latin America you can be "suspendido de la escuela". But apparently in Spain, they use "suspender" to mean you failed a class. To fail a class, in Mexico and other Latin American countries, would usually be "reprobar." "Expulsar" is used for expulsion.

Finally, on the matter of the charming Castilian pronunciation of s or z as a "th" sound. Many writers are at pains to say this is NOT a lisp, as the speakers can, and do, clearly pronounce the "s" phoneme. There are lots of theories as to the development of this sound. For a totally mind-numbing discussion on the matter, I refer you to the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.o...­. Make of it what you will. A very simple summary, which may or may not be acurate can be found at http://mrsnealtutor.b...­[/url].

And now on to some parts of the face—why not?

Forehead = la frente Cheeks = las mejillas Chin = la barbilla or el menton

Jaw = la mandíbula Eyelashes = las pestañas Eyebrow = la ceja

Neck = el cuello

If you have anything to add, or changes to suggest to any of this, please post a message on our board.

Hasta luego…

Lorraine
Robert Gutierrez
user 6347161
Marrero, LA
Post #: 2
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Yes, I did know mejillones for mussels, but I immediately thought of the word conchas. I actually asked my mother about that, and a few other things we were discussing at Mayas, and she said that concha is a slang term we use for mussels and is used sometimes for other shellfish. The word concha in spanish means sea shell, but can also mean the bowl-like part of the inside of your ear or conch as well. I also asked my mom about la zeta (castilian lisp), and she told me that zeta is the name of the sound, ceceo is the process of using that sound. She said that in Spain three types of sounds exist, ceceo, seseo, and distincion. Ceceo means to use the zeta for c's and z's. Seseo means to use s's for c's and z's, and distincion means to use s's for c's and zetas for z's. Since I am Canary Islander Spanish descent, we don't use la zeta (ceceo), we use the s sound (seseo) like central Andalucia in Spain and Latin America.

I looked up the areas of Spain that use the seseo s sound who are seseante and they are: Canary Islands, Córdoba, Almeria, Seville, Málaga, western Huelva, San Fernando (La Isla de León), some parts of Extremadura and Murcia. I read that Latin American Spanish is based on central Andalucian Spanish, mostly from Seville and Cordoba, which explains why Latin Americans are seseante and use the seseo s. I also read that the same Canary Islands of my ancestry, was the most influential factor in the creation of the Spanish spoken in the Spanish Caribbean dialects of: Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Venezuela. Hence, that is why my accent sounds close to Caribbean Spanish.

The word Jaiba I found out is a word that is Latin American, but we got this word from Latin America through immigration. Canary Islanders are the only Spaniards that use Jaiba, most Spaniards just use Cangrejo. Again, it is because the Canaries are separated from mainland Spain, and the history of the back and forth immigration with the Spanish Caribbean (la ida y la vuelta). My mother told me that we mainly use the word Jaiba to mean blue crabs, but other types of crabs, we just call "cangrejos". There is an old folk song (we call folk songs "decimas") from my community called "La Vida de un Jaibero", here are the words:

"La Vida de un Jaibero"

Yo me arrimé a la costa,
buscándome el abriguito.
Sentí una voz que decía:
--¡Y aquí estoy yo heladito!--
Era un pobre jaibero,
pescando en el mes de febrero.

Y salió calando
derecho para el otro lado
y se encontró otro jaibero,
otro pobre desgraciado.
Entonces dice el jaibero:
--¡Maldita sea el mes de febrero!--

Lo conchó a la costa
y donde estaba el batimiento.
--¡Maldita sea tanto viento!--
Era un pobre jaibero,

De una lata a la otra;
iba un pobre jaibero.
Se fue a tierra a cortar paja
y le cayó un avispero.
--¡Maldita sea el mes de febrero!--

Tenía el pelo largo
y se enredó en los mangles.
No podía salir
a recorrer sus palangres.
Era un pobre jaibero,

Cuando se muere un jaibero,
que nadie le ponga luto,
porque se va a descansar
ese pobrecito difunto.
Era un pobre jaibero,

The Life of a Crab Fisherman

I went up close to shore,
just looking for shelter.
I heard a voice saying:
"Here I am all frozen."
It was a poor crab fisherman,
fishing in the month of February.

He went out to lay his lines
straight over to the other side
and he met another crabber,
another unfortunate fellow.
Then the crab fisherman says:
"Damned be the month of February!"

He ran his boat in to shore,
where the tide was beating in.
"Damn all this wind!"

From one pole to another,
went a poor crab fisherman.
He went on shore to cut straw and a bees nest fell on him.
"Damned be the month of February!"

His hair was all long
and got tangled in the mangroves.
He couldn't go out
to check on his lines.

When a crab fisherman dies,
no one should mourn for him,
because that poor deceased fellow
is just going to his rest.

I also knew the word Caiman, because my grandfather used to hunt alligators and would always use that word caiman. My grandpa's nickname was "Cayuc" Gutierrez, which in Louisiana Isleño Spanish, cayuco is a pirogue. Thank you for the words you posted. I knew some of them, but some I did not. It was a great help. I hope I can continue to stregthen my spanish. I try to speak it with members of my community whenever I can. Once again, thanks

Robert Gutierrez