200 S Main Street, Akron, OH
Every summer the LeBron James Family Foundation donates new bicycles and helmets to at-risk third-graders through their Wheels for Education program. The program follows the recipients throughout the rest of their educational career. During the school year, students and parents receive letters, phone calls and video messages from James. Students are awarded “I Promise” bands for their accomplishments.
The Summit Cycling Center assembles, tunes and sets up many hundreds of these bikes every year. This winter the Spin-offs are helping the members of the Summit Cycling Center assemble and adjust the bikes at the Bike Kitchen. Our event calendar has 4 every other Wednesday evening meet-ups scheduled as work sessions.
The Summit Cycling Center staff will be at the Bike Kitchen from 5 PM – 8: PM every Wednesday to help all volunteers. Our scheduled assembly time is 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM. You are free to volunteer whatever hours are convenient to your schedule.
Please consider join us at these Wednesday evening workshops. It is a great opportunity to help the SCC and the Wheels for Education while having a fun time with fellow Spinoffs. It is also the perfect time to join the SCC and become involved in this community resource for the Akron area.
About the Summit Cycling Center
The Summit Cycling Center (SCC) is a non-profit, volunteer-driven, bicycle co-operative with a mission to promote the use of bicycles and other human-powered vehicles as transportation alternatives. It is an urban cyclist’s co-operative that provides affordably priced cycle goods and services. SCC recycles used bikes, and refurbishes them to support the center and provide an opportunity for members to learn about bicycle mechanics.
SCC has an annual membership fee that can be earned though volunteer hours. You can earn a free annual membership by volunteering 4 hours per year. Volunteer hours spend assembling bikes for the Wheels for Education program count towards the membership. A membership application can be found in our files directory. Please bring the completed application with you to your first volunteer session.
Directions to the Bike Kitchen
The Bike Kitchen can be difficult to find. Here are the secret decoder ring directions to the kitchen. The Bike Kitchen is located in the basement of the former O’Neil’s department store in downtown Akron at 200 South Main Street.
• At the intersection of South Main street and State Street, head west on State Street.
• This is the intersection between the Barley House and Canal Park ball field.
• Just past the rear of the Barley House (in the old O’Neil’s building), there is a parking deck entrance.
• Turn into the deck and park.
• Take the elevators on the east wall to the basement.
• This is the level that is marked for Lock 3. After exiting the elevators, the entrance to the Bike Kitchen is to the left.
Or from Main Street…
• Enter Lock 3 Park on the north Side of the O’Neil’s building and walk down the hill.
• Turn left and walk under the parking deck.
• You will see an entrance on the left. Enter here.
• The Bike Kitchen is to the left at the end of the short hall.