THE SPIRITUAL EXCHANGE (Dorset) Message Board › Continuation of discussion about Peter Tatchell on July 10, 2014 posting

Continuation of discussion about Peter Tatchell on July 10, 2014 posting

Dave H.
user 8888539
Bournemouth, GB
Post #: 289
Really not sure how I am putting words in your mouth, David.

OK here's what you wrote above:

"I dislike him and Dawkins and Fry and Cox and others because they are so arrogant in condemning people who don't align with their atheistic worldview. How can you speak out for the rights of one group but ridicule and demonise others because they believe in God or some spiritual reality? They are hypocritical bigots."

OK first sentence - you accuse Tatchell in arrogantly condemning people who don't align with his atheistic worldview.

My point as explained above is that in this meeting, at least, he went to great pains NOT to condemn people who don't align to his worldview., as you will witness if you watch the recording.

Second sentence.
Even if he HAS in the past ridiculed and demonised others because of a God belief - how does that make him hypocritical?

Human rights are all about having free speech and thus being able to ridicule and condemn. You are doing the same and he and I would defend your right to do so.

So that wouldn't make him a hypocrite - it means he and you are putting free human rights into action!
David C.
user 94369362
Corfe Mullen, GB
Post #: 31
Look, Dave, I have just deleted a long reply because it gets me nowhere. His record, his affiliation to organised secularism and his campaigning side-by-side with Dawkins and Fry speak for themselves.

I'm opting out of this discussion because it is making me angry and I've just spent two days recovering from a severe panic attack after another heart scare. I just don't need the aggravation.
Dave H.
user 8888539
Bournemouth, GB
Post #: 290
David I'm very sorry you're getting angry and so sorry you are having health problems.
Feel free of course to opt out - I certainly have no wish to cause you aggravation.

Do hope this will not affect our friendship and hope to see you at the next meeting.

Dave H.
user 8888539
Bournemouth, GB
Post #: 291
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing
there is a field
I'll meet you there.
Rumi
David C.
user 94369362
Corfe Mullen, GB
Post #: 32
I get angry far too easily which is why I had to withdraw from the Skeptiko arguments. Some people treat those discussions like debate teams - they are things to win. Some like to win races or football games, other like to win intellectual points. People like Dawkins imagine they are at the top of the intellectual tree so their arguments come across as patronising and belittling. Describing spiritual belief as superstition is not showing respect to believers, it is belittling.

Religious practices which reduce humanity to sheep or tools of a powerful clerical elite should be condemned. I'm all for that. Scientism, which holds that we are nothing more than meat machines with an electro-chemical control unit built-in, reduces my personhood, my identity, to something less than sheep. The more we give a platform for these people, the less I want o be part of this world.
Dave H.
user 8888539
Bournemouth, GB
Post #: 293
For what it's worth here's a link to Tatchell's lecture.

https://www.youtube.c...­

Questions from the audience follow his talk.