The Spokane Secular Meetup Message Board › Why don't we just dump the body?

Why don't we just dump the body?

Jon L.
user 13380332
Spokane, WA
Post #: 48
Someone close to you has died. Beyond disposing of the body in a hygienic way what kind of remembrance should take place, if any at all? The question, put a little more crudely, but clearly;"Why don't we just dump the body?" Any activity beyond merely disposing of the body would involve a ritual of some kind. How do we square any kind of ritual with philosophical materialism?
Daphne C.
Classixx
Spokane, WA
Post #: 21
Well my well is full, so you'll have to dump it elsewhere. And hey I didn't hear anything about anything.
Valerie
user 7897043
Coeur D Alene, ID
Post #: 1
New here! My father had a stroke and was hospitalized in mid September. We are a small but loving family and my mother died several years ago. I was at work when I got the call that he was in intensive care and, as I am the only remaining relative, the hospital staff needed to know what my father's wishes would be. The easiest answer I've ever give was "do not resuscitate/comfort measures only". They asked if I would by flying down (about 2,000 miles) and I said just call me when he dies. I loved my father very much but I don't see the point in getting all worked up when his time is clearly up. He died a few days later. I told my boss, booked my flight, called my father's landlord to ensure entry to his apartment and packed my bags.

I was a bridesmaid in a wedding a few days later and took my dress with me. I got to dad's on Monday, greeted his concerned neighbors and began the process of finding what I needed: insurance paperwork, his favorite coffee cup and some photographs from my childhood. I slept well that night and the next day arranged his cremation with no service. I had a mechanic give his car an oil change and full inspection, had his mail forwarded and wrapped up his bank account. I slept well that night as well. The next day I packed his car (don't forget the wedding!) headed to my old favorite spot at Seal Beach, CA, took a long walk on the beach and headed up to Sacramento for the wedding.

This may seem to drag on, but the point is, there is NO doubt I loved my father. Past tense. I will have those memories of him but the fact is his body was finished. I do not understand the need for such ceremony and sorrow. I would feel differently, perhaps, if one of my children were to die. I would feel robbed of the experiences I expected to have, but I would choose the same cremation arrangements for them. It's just over, you know?