Join us on August 27 at the Stamford Innovation Center as Chris Carvache, Founder of New Leaf Web Solutions, teaches us how to build a simple plugin from scratch.
Attendees will learn how to create a WordPress plugin from scratch. Actions and Filters will be covered with a heavy emphasis on WordPress actions. The plugin will allow users to insert a block of HTML code into an action hook of their choice. This will enable the users to easily add code to themes in a desired location without having to edit parent theme files, or creating child theme files. Also, the plugin will create an additional body class using filters indicating that the plugin is working and active on a particular page allowing for additional CSS styling if desired. This plugin is intended to be useful to developers of ALL skill levels.
* A basic working knowledge of PHP will be required for attendees to get the most out of this presentation and will not be covered.
At the end of the presentation, users should be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of the following concepts
- How to setup a plugin for development
- Identify the difference between WordPress action hooks and filters
- How to use action hooks and filters
- How to create a settings page in the WordPress admin
- How to properly interact with data in the WordPress options table
- Appropriate PHP commenting and documentation
- Appropriate PHP code nesting promoting user readability
About Chris Carvache
Independent WordPress Developer / Consultant by day, musician by night. Chris Carvache has been a Web Developer for the last 7 years working at great firms such as Prudential Connecticut Realty and Northeast Web Design before starting New Leaf Web Solutions in early 2012. Working with the belief that every client can harness the power of the internet to better their business, New Leaf Web Solutions creates WordPress based websites that are easy to interact with for the end user and offers business owners a powerful marketing tool to reach out to their audience.
According to smarterer.com Chris Carvache is a WordPress expert scoring a 740 out of 800.