Stockholm Ruby Message Board › Rename SHRUG -> Stockholm Ruby

Rename SHRUG -> Stockholm Ruby

Martin S.
martinsvalin
Group Organizer
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 2
(Meetup.com isn't really geared toward private discussions among organizers… let's just have it in the open.)

Mike Burns proposed changing the name of our group to "Stockholm Ruby". Peter Lind asked what the point of a rename is, citing meetup.com and google search hits for relevant queries.

I've frequently found myself saying "I'm going to a Ruby event" rather than "I'm going to a SHRUG event" because I don't feel like having to explain what it is. I'm perfectly fine with a rename. "A rose by any other name" etc. I prefer a name I'm inclined to use outside the circle of people who already know what it is.

- Martin
Mike B.
mike-burns
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 7
My reply to Peter:

The point as it was brought up* was that it's an odd name, both in that
the word shrug doesn't really convey what we do and also that most Ruby
groups of the world are named "$city Ruby" or something similar
(Barcelona on Rails, London Ruby User Group, Ruby User Group Berlin,
Tokyo Rubyist Meetup). It's the difference between "you should come to
the next SHRUG meetup - that's the Stockholm Ruby group" and "you should
come to the next Stockholm Ruby meetup".

* Someone else suggested it, I simply offered to do the actual work on Meetup.
Ricard F.
ricardfredin
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 1
On every occasion that I've mentioned SHRUG to someone I've had to explain the acronym within the next 30 seconds because no one outside of this meetup group knows what it stands for, thus the name could be simplified for internal and external use.
Henrik N.
user 36650582
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 6
+1 for renaming for the reasons above.

Sthlm.rb, Stockholm.rb, Stockholm Ruby? You'd probably pronounce all of them like the latter. I guess it would also get slightly better Google juice.

stockholmruby.com?
Henrik N.
user 36650582
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 7
#stockholmruby would be a longish hashtag.

If we renamed, I suspect we'd end up using #sthlmrb there at least.

The JS group is "sthlm.js".
Lennart F.
DevL
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 4
Well, SHRUG is short for "Stockholm Ruby User Group" so I propose expanding the acronym to that.

As for the new name and hashtag (whatever we settles for), I'm sure we'll have to make a point of prominentöy displaying them at any meetup/event until everyone gets used to them.
Mike B.
mike-burns
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 8
These are all great points. To summarize and clarify, things to consider:

• Transitiioning long-time members. Don't want them looking for SHRUG and finding nothing.
  • Hashtags.
  • Domain name.
  • Pronouncing something that people instantly understand.
  • Pronouncing something that people can search for.
  • SEO.

The top contenders are "sthlm.rb" and "Stockholm Ruby". The first does well in hashtags, domain names, and SEO, while the second does well in pronouncability, SEO, and transitioning.

We could go with Stockholm Ruby and tell people that the hashtag is #sthlmruby. The domains stockholmruby.{com,se} and sthlmruby.{com,se} could all redirect to the Meetup group. Is there a better compromise?
Peter L.
user 13981590
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 2
NOSTALGIA people, NOSTALGIA!
And we're in good company

But if everyone else is up for a change, I'd vote sthlm.rb mostly because it's hashtag friendly
Henrik N.
user 36650582
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 8
We decided at the lunch meetup today to go with stockholmruby.com for the site and #sthlmrb for the hashtag.

It's obviously not set in stone, but we've started registering domains and looking at marketing etc, so it will get increasingly painful to change.
Teo L.
user 75162092
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 1
I prefer sthlm.rb instead of stockholm.rb, it follow the "convention" of other user groups as boston.rb and seattle.rb.