align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Stockholm Expat Meetup Group Message Board › Surviving the Darkness & Cold of a Stockholm Winter: your tips please!

Surviving the Darkness & Cold of a Stockholm Winter: your tips please!

Ash R.
ForwardTherapy
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 2
I'm compiling some suggestions for expats who are struggling with the darkness and cold of Stockholm's winter. It's already dark at 3.30pm and about to drop below 0 (I can feel it in my bones!).

What are your suggestions to keeping up your spirits and lifting your mood during these cold dark times?
How do you keep on top of things when everything around you seems to be shutting down for the winter?

Coming from Brisbane I know that this time of year can be particularly challenging for some. I hope to collate the responses and make them available when I am counselling expats who are having a difficult time of it.
Steve M
user 12772372
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 3
some tips

Exercise
daily walk at midday
less alcohol
good food and vitamins
get a hobby
be social

you can also buy a daylight lamp & an alarm clock with a gradual light
Elin G.
user 28792932
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 1
Have dinner at Koh Phangan, Skånegatan 57. Feels like you're in Thailand :) or go to the indoor beachvolleyball place in Södertälje.
Good luck :)
Ash R.
ForwardTherapy
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 3
Thanks for your responses everyone. I have written up some ideas from clients and also tips suggested by other expats. I hope it is useful to anyone struggling with the winter blues!

Swedish Winter Depression Therapy

Anna
user 13885061
Gzira, MT
Post #: 4
lots of sex and alcohol