NOTE our new date - May 1, 2013.
Here is our agenda for our May 2013 Stock Investing Kick-Off meetup:
- An overview of using fundamental-based factors to make money investing in common stocks. This is a powerful method of investing for the individual investor.
- We will briefly look at the returns of more exotic (and typically more expensive and riskier) investments like hedge funds, venture capital and private equity - and compare those returns with those available in common stocks.
- We will explore the notion that "It is NOT a stock market, it is a market of stocks" - in other words, there is a wide dispersion of returns and risk among individual stocks for any particular time period.
- We will conduct an overview of the 60 different stock screens ("recipes") that AAII has outlined and covered since January 1998 and see how to profitably use them in our own investing. Keep in mind the past 10-12 years has been called the "lost decade", including 2 periods of big losses for stocks in 2000 and 2008. Come see how the stock screens performed during this challenging period (HINT: Fantastic!). If this doesn't get your blood pumping, nothing will.
- We will select one or two screens and perform a deep analysis of the stock screen over the past 10+ years.
- We will examine building a portfolio of two or more stock screens to achieve higher returns and/or less risk.
- We will provide water, soft drinks and light snacks so that your body can keep up with your brain during this session! ;-) Of course you are welcome to bring your own snack or dinner too.
We also have several exciting topics available for follow-on sessions later this year:
- Portfolio construction - after I find compelling stocks to buy, how do I build a portfolio of them?
- Shorting stocks - how do I make money in stocks that are *falling* in price? How do I build a portfolio of both LONG and SHORT stocks? How do I measure and identify the risks?
- Valuation - how do we measure the value of a company and its stock and use that information in our investing.
- Fundamental stock evaluation - how to read financial statements and SEC filing documents (10-K, 8-K, proxy, etc.)
- Use of price & volume (technical analysis techniques) to increase profitability in investing.
- Comparing trading styles - day trading, swing trading, position trading, and buy-n-hold. Which is the best for YOUR goals and temperament?
- And many more topics. Stay with us for the ride - it will be a blast!!
ORIGINAL MEETUP MESSAGE:
A long over-due "greetings" to all members of our Stock Investing Meetup!
Please save the date of Tuesday, April 23, 2013 at 6:30pm for our kick-off meeting for our new "season" of programs. We will start this night with a view of stock screening and how to look at different "recipes" for improving your odds and making money in stock investing. This will be an update version of the presentation I did in May 2010 and promises to be a great way for us to kick of a new series of meetups on stock investing.
The Meetup will be held at the Georgia State University (GSU) Brookhaven facility (off of Peachtree Road, near Oglethorpe University).
More details to come in the days/weeks to follow. In the mean time, feel free to send me any thoughts, questions, ideas, suggestions for this and future Stock Investing Meetups.
Also, if you can volunteer to help with sign-in/registration that night or help to bring snacks & water, please let me know. Thanks!