Story Games Olympia Message Board › That Burning Feeling

That Burning Feeling

Gary M
madu.games
Olympia, WA
Post #: 2
Of course I'm talking about Burning Wheel! What else could I have— oh, well. There's that.

Serious now. I'm of the mind to start up a BW game of some form - a couple-three people, maybe alternating Sundays? I can host at Rancho Mogden here on the west side, where there will definitely be food (probably something weird and/or good), or at some neutral other location. BWG, Blossoms - even Burning Empires, I daresay, are all possibilities.

In a perfect world this would gel sometime around mid-July and run until it ended.

Suggestions? Insults? Crazed laughter and paeans to ancient eldritch para-divinities? I stand ready to respond.

~Gary
Morgan
Mathalus
Olympia, WA
Post #: 20
I like Burning Wheel!
Gary M
madu.games
Olympia, WA
Post #: 3
I like BW too!

I also like Apocalypse World and its many variants, and Mouse Guard, and FreeMarket, and would be comfortable running any of those in an ongoing game. So where I seem to blather on about BW, feel free to mentally insert one of the above if you like the sound of it better.

~Gary
Gary M
madu.games
Olympia, WA
Post #: 6
With a successful Death Art test, I cause this thread to rise again!

While I in no way imagine I can top Ross's MCing acumen, I am certainly inspired by the success of the 5-session game model to take my turn in the barrel. I'm stoked to run Burning Wheel! I could also as mentioned above do other Burning Products.

The questions are, then: who else? And when? And where?
Morgan
Mathalus
Olympia, WA
Post #: 29
Me. Soon. At my place, or somewhere else.
Gary M
madu.games
Olympia, WA
Post #: 7
Care to ponder setting and such? What sort of BW game catches your interest?

Me, I tend to fall into the fantastic-historical mode pretty easily. I've always kind of wanted to do Burning Rome, and just take Herodotus and Pliny as factual - plenty of room for political treachery and pugio-on-pugio action alike. Blossoms are Falling, of course, would be superb. I could not (may not!) say no to an Orcs game, and by extension a MoBu City game has its appeal. Straight-up swords and sorcery is good too!

I'd also be willing to run Burning Empires as long as people were patient with me getting my stride on that one. Read extensively, never played. The horror of the Vaylen can't be underestimated!
Morgan
Mathalus
Olympia, WA
Post #: 30
I've been hoping to check Burning Empires off my list for a long time, and I love the Rome and Blossoms ideas. I wish I had a copy of Blossoms. Does it work fine with Gold?
Gary M
madu.games
Olympia, WA
Post #: 8
I'll crack open the vault doors and consult the Burning Library this eve to be sure, but I do not recall anything in Blossoms that would prohibit the use of Gold Duel of Wits and Fight mechanics. Everything else - LPs, Traits, and whatnot - is internal to the setting.

Edited to add: On close review of Blossoms are Falling, there are a couple things that will need to be tweaked, specifically Nihon-centric actions in Fight. Dishonorable Positioning, since that process has changed in the flow of combat. Block changes a little with tachi - if it's a samurai-heavy game I am sure we'll have to come to consensus on the Gold stats for weapons. I think that's it.
Gary M
madu.games
Olympia, WA
Post #: 9
So that covers me and Morgan - anyone else?

(Reading Burning Empires now, and definitely warming to the idea of running that.)
Ross C.
user 17338351
Olympia, WA
Post #: 32
I am interested, esp. in burning empires. Do you have an idea how many sessions you would like to run?