The Indianapolis Sushi Meetup Group Message Board › Where would you like to go?

Where would you like to go?

Dan
user 2928416
Group Organizer
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 1
Around Indy, where are your favorite places to get sushi? What was special about each place?
A former member
Post #: 13
Sakura is the best in Indy, IMHO. It seems to be the most authentic sushi experience with the food, the service and the ambiance. And by authentic service, I mean slow and a little rude. It all adds to the experience.

However, we usually go to Ocean World. It's basically the same sushi as Sakura (I've heard it's owned by the same people?) but the restaurant is more Americanized (brighter, sculptures, fountains, artwork, etc.). The service is more consistent and usually friendly. It also has more seats and is easier to get in (Sakura almost always has a wait).

Ginza is decent. The sushi is always good but the restaurant itself is so-so. Prices are the best that I've seen in Indy.

There is a little tiny sushi restaurant called Ichiban on the northside, maybe 1/2 mile north of 86th Street somewhere east of Castleton mall (I don't know the street name). It's almost literally hidden on a side street, next to the railroad tracks and looks like a tiny foam-green shack. It only has maybe 6-8 tables. I used to work close by and would go there for lunch at least once a week. The sushi is fabulous but a little pricey (thank you, Castleton).

I've been to a lot of other Japanese restaurants around Indy that I couldn't begin to recall names and locations, but they all had pretty good sushi. Or maybe I'm just not picky enough. The only BAD sushi that I've had in Indy has been at Chinese Buffets. But honestly... you can't expect much at a Chinese buffet.

I still miss the Tokyo Gourmet Buffet in Castleton. Yes, there was a sushi/Japanese buffet. It was like heaven. $25 for all you can nibble. Yum. But it's been gone for at least 2-3 years now. Sigh.

Now you all know everything I know about sushi in Indy.
Dan
user 2928416
Group Organizer
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 2
Went to Mikado downtown (south Illinois street, only a couple of blocks from the Circle Center) on Saturday night with Martin and his fiance. It was decent, not many points for flair or presentation. Considering how the sushi was I thought it was a bit pricey.

The best thing we ordered were the spicy salmon rolls.

Dan
A former member
Post #: 15
I can confirm that Mikado is over-hyped. Their sushi is fine, but not worth the marked up prices.

Has anyone tried the Tegry Bistro in Brownsburg? Did I spell it correctly? I read about it in the Westside Flyer. Sounds like they are doing well (I've been saying that a good sushi restuarant in the west burbs would go like wildfire.) I also read that they get their fish air shipped same day from Hawaii, so I bet the sushi is AWESOME. And probably pricey. I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried it.
Dan
user 2928416
Group Organizer
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 4
Addresses! Because I'm a bit bored this afternoon...

Sakura
7201 N Keystone Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46240
(317) 259-4171

Ocean World
1206 W 86th St
Indianapolis, IN 46260
(317) 848-8901

Ichiban Noodles
8355 Bash St
Indianapolis, IN 46250
(317) 841-0484
Dan
user 2928416
Group Organizer
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 5
I found this mention of the Tegry Bistro

TEGRY BISTRO RESTAURANT
1551 N. GREEN STR #A
Brownsburg IN 46112
A former member
Post #: 5
Hi! I just joined. ^_^

My all time favorite Japanese restaurant is Asaka in Castleton. The owner / head sushi chef is Japanese and the food is amazing. Also, they have Happy Hour sushi from 5pm - 7pm every night.

There is also a new Japanese restaurant in Greenwood called Ichiban (no relation to the Ichiban in Castleton). They are pretty good as well, but not nearly as good as Asaka in my opinion.
A former member
Post #: 24
I found this mention of the Tegry Bistro

TEGRY BISTRO RESTAURANT
1551 N. GREEN STR #A
Brownsburg IN 46112
I tried Tegry Bistro twice this week (long story) and I have to say it was pretty good. A little pricey, but very good. I sat at the sushi bar and the owner/sushi chef and his wife are very funny and really, really nice.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi, I'm new to the group.

There's a hidden gem over here in Lawrence. It's called Hisago. Located at Pendelton Pike & Post Road, it is my Favorite sushi place in town (prior to that it was Sakura). They're VERY friendly, it's always the same people in there working, they'll answer any questions you have, are kid-friendly, and the sushi is AMAZING! They give you soup & salad & a sweet potato-based noodle all before your main course. I can't recommend this place enough. You definitely get your moneys worth in an authentic atmosphere.

Hisago
4779 N Post Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46226
(317) 898-2188

Although I love Hisago, the award for BEST salmon sushi I've had goes to Kona Grill in Carmel. It's much pricer than most other places in town (& pretentious). But, I just can't deny that their Salmon melts like butter.

Kona Grill
14395 Clay Terrace Blvd
Carmel, IN 46032
(317) 566-1400

I hope to join you at a meetup sometime!

sash
Dan
user 2928416
Group Organizer
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 20
After a review like that we have to go try Hisago! I love hidden gems!