The Indianapolis Sushi Meetup Group Message Board › Ichiban (southside)

Ichiban (southside)

Veronica
user 4696856
Greencastle, IN
Post #: 1
Indy.com review

This place has a maki happy hour (half price on a variety of different rolls) on Mondays from 5-7. If folks can get out of work early, could we consider having a southside event?

I was with a group of 6 yesterday, and we gorged ourselves on lovely, tasty rolls that were presented beautifully. And we got out of there for $10/head.

No, I'm not kidding. $10/head.

Takers?
Ben
Benzo
Indianapolis, IN
Mmmmm, sounds good! Mondays can be crazy sometimes, but I could prolly swing it.
A former member
Just tried this last night, not bad- but I don't like it when they mince the fish for the maki. We had several rolls including- spicy tuna (they forgot the spicy) the tuna was mushy from being minced almost to a paste. I know it's harder to work with whole slices of tuna, but it feels so much better in the mouth- and that's a big part of enjoying sushi, right? Fish was very fresh and rolls were presented well but just didn't have that punch or texture. It was busy, but we were seated reasonably fast. Note- they serve their high end good sake in a wineglass, house sake is served traditional. For the price and taste- I still prefer Sansui over all the places we've tried. They are still the best in my book, beat out Sakura, H2O, Naked, Ichiban Noodle, Ocean World, Asaka.. and others. I still need to try Hisago.
Dan
user 2928416
Group Organizer
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 24
The presentation was really nice last night at Ichiban, better than last time we were there. My rolls were all very good, I didn't have anything that was minced but maybe I just got lucky.
A former member
Post #: 2
Well my husband and I tried Hisago last night- Sat night and we were the only ones in the place..?
It's not good- take a pass on it. We had spicy yellowtail (pretty decent, but very little yellowtail in it), volcano roll (bad), and Hisago roll (bland- it was just crab meat and rice). I know I sound picky, but the rice was overwatered and mushy and the rolls were just plain not good. We always try a volcano roll everywhere we go- if they have one, it's kind of like the lasagna in Italian places- you can judge a lot by the way they make it. This was some sort of roll- we couldn't figure out what was underneath the pile of warm gloppy cream cheese. There was shrimp mixed in, but it was a big pile of mayo and cream cheese- warmed and poured over top. No spice at all- even the wasabi was bland- I've never had that- it barely tasted of horseradish. I hate sounding negative- but it seems like all the decent sushi is on the N side? When you go to Sansui- do try their Volcano roll- it's something we crave.
Gabriel C.
user 5926805
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 63
I like it. A bit pricy, but the presentation is good and the service is very friendly. The miso soup is good as is the fried rice. I didn't like the mochi ice cream very much. The ichiban roll is the one I try most often, its got roe and karrots for presentation and an interesting house sauce. I've seen differing levels of quality in my several visits as its one of the closes suchi resteraunts to my house but generaly I would recomend it.