Silicon Valley MySQL Group Message Board › Big company blues?

Big company blues?

A former member
Post #: 14
Do you really want spend your life?s energies working through layers of bureaucracy, learning how to solve problems in risk-averse ways, congratulating yourself on improving a feature of a widget of version 12.1b.4, wondering what moves the-guys-upstairs might make that will affect your project?

Some people think that working for a big company will give them good experience, but that?s kind of like saying learning to sit still for dental surgery is good experience. Sure, it's an experience, but it?s more unfortunate than necessary, isn?t it? I would actually argue that you learn the wrong things working for a big company, and that it's actually not good experience. You?ll learn politics, slow development cycles, maintenance of legacy code, interdepartmental coordination, how to sit in meetings, how to pitch proposals up the chain, etc. After a few years, you may even think this is ?the way it?s done,? or this is the ?professional? way. When that happens, you?re probably a permanent part of The Machine. Bad experience.

A good experience is when you really make something happen in the world -- when you?re free to create new things the world needs in an agile, adaptive way; when you?re free to take risks and feel the blood in your veins and your mind; when you work with a team of people you trust and respect, where decisions are made out in the open. A start up provides this environment, and we are all lucky to live in the Bay Area, the start up capital of the world. A big company is not the safe career choice. It's the risky choice. It risks your vitality and what you could eventually become.

No one told me this soon enough either. I thought working for a big or known company would give me good experience. I thought it was the safe way to go. Please don't make my mistake. Save yourself now. Go to a start up. Even if you don't work with us. I mean it. You don't have to come to Ooga Labs. Just join a startup. You won?t regret it.

Initially, your friends and family may not understand why you didn't take that safe cube-job with the company whose name they know, but in two years they will understand. They will love using the websites you build, and they will talk often with their friends about it. They will see you having a vibrant life, pushing the edge of what's happening, and they'll be proud to know you.

The Ooga Labs Option
One start up option you have is Ooga Labs. In the last six years, we?ve sold consumer Web companies for more than $100 million. We?re building 3-6 consumer Web companies simultaneously. You?ll get equity or profit sharing in each of them regardless of which project you work on. We develop with Ruby on Rails with MySQL. We work our asses off and have a blast doing it. We?re frugal. We are self-funded by the founders. Our office is in downtown San Francisco on Market Street and 3rd.

We?re looking for software and Web engineers who both 1) know Ruby or want to learn it AND 2) know HTML, Java Script or who want to learn it. Additional skills we favor are CSS, Flash, Action Script, Linux, and MySQL but they aren?t required. We also screen for the right personality -- it?s a lot more fun if you work with people you really like.

Apply by sending your resume to tom@oogalabs.com.

Thanks.