Sydney Americans Message Board › Filing taxes in the US from Oz

Filing taxes in the US from Oz

Clint W.
user 10909370
Sydney, AU
Post #: 1
I know this is not an exciting discussion topic, but i'm on a working holiday visa and have been working as a contracter for a company for the past several months. I am filing my 2009 return and trying to figure out how to declare my wages, and if I really need to. It was only like 1 months wage that I earned in 2009. Any suggestions, I would love to just file electronically and forget my earnings here just to simplify things but I don't want to screw myselft over for when I leave Australia and try to get my paid taxes back by not declaring it to the US.

Thanks.
Roxana D.
user 3272009
Sydney, AU
Hi Clint,
I am in a similar situation as you are. I just know that because we are abroad we get to extra months to file out taxes. Have you check out the consulate or IRS webpage on this matter? I downloaded a file from the IRS with some info, but I am yet to read it.

If I find out anything else I will let you know, and I will check here to see what others advise you.

Hope we figure this out soon.

Best,
Roxana

Jonathan
user 7752185
Sydney, AU
You get extra time but if you owe money you have to pay intrest for that extra time you took. I use TurboTax from here to file electronically. If you were outside the US for more than 330 full days and made less than 91,400 US from overseas income you don't have to include the overseas income. I'm yet to find a clear answer on most overseas tax questions. Good Luck
A former member
I use Evan Hill with ExTax, he's based in Sydney and he's always been extremely helpful and friendly. The website is http://www.extax.com....­. Even if you don't file your taxes with him he can give you info on what to look out for and whether you should file here or not. I worked in the US for the last 6 months and he's going to file my taxes for this year which will include both Australian and US income. Good Luck!
A former member
My father is an accountant and tax lawyer in New York and he has been filing my taxes in the US for the past 3 years while I have been living and working over here. If you would like to e mail him let me know and I can pass on his e mail address. He seems to know what all of the rules are and how enforced they are.
Clint W.
user 10909370
Sydney, AU
Post #: 2
Thanks for your help peeps, I decided to just play ignorant and not mention my tiny Australian income from December in the end. Next year I may have to get this sorted out once and for all though....
Haki
user 3770855
Sydney, AU
Post #: 2
One thing to remember, while you do get to exclude your income earned overseas up to whatever the cap is for the year, you still must INCLUDE that income when figuring out the rate at which your excess income above the excluded portion is taxed

For example, if you made $US150,000 in tax year 2009, when you figure your taxable income, you exclude $91,400 (i think that's it) from that. So your taxable income becomes 150,000-91,400=$58,600.

However, when figuring your tax on that amount you DO NOT simply go to the tax table and find the tax on $58,600 for your tax table. There is a formula in the tax forms that you have to use to figure your tax. Basically, what they do is tax that $58,600 at the same rate they would tax $150,000 (your total income).

This can make a HUGE difference, so do not overlook it.
A former member
Post #: 5
I have to admit that I've been living overseas for so long ( 9 years now ) That I no longer file a tax report to the US. We pay more then enough tax here in Australia I don't think I need to let the US tax me more, and yes I do make under 91K US.
Erica
user 10926314
Sydney, AU
Post #: 3
Hi all-

Please note that even though you do not live in the US anymore, if you are still a US citizen, you are required to file a US tax return on your worldwide income. There is also strict reporting on foreign bank accounts. I am a US CPA working here in Sydney. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Erica
Dave
user 14068934
Sydney, AU
Anyone know a good website that allows you to prepre taxes from Australia? It would need to allow you to include form 2555 for the foreign income exclusion.

Also I know you are supposed to declare foreign bank accounts, any have experience with this?