addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sydney Americans Message Board › Tourist vs. Expat

Tourist vs. Expat

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello everyone! My first post here. My wife and I are thinking about moving to Sydney after I retire from the Navy. She is actually from Sydney. There is concern that I will be treated differently as a working resident than I would as a tourist. Does anyone have any insight on this? I am being told that Aussies in Sydney are nice to me because they are family and friends of my wife. Interesting point. I would appreciate any stories and thoughts any of you may have.

Also, I am from San Diego and a huge sports nut. Will I get homesick from not seeing all the games I watch?

Cheers!
A former member
Post #: 19
Welcome Craig! We look forward to having you and your wife here for our monthly football (gridiron) game.

The least of your concerns will be how you will be treated! There are so many expats (533 in our group at last count!) you might think you are in Times Square! Of course, if you don't like being asked "where are you from?" all the time (your wife might be able to attest to that one!) then maybe moving here is not for you! Australia is a huge melting pot and Sydney is the centre of it.

We have both Foxtel and Internet access to US sports. But we won't be surprised if we get you hooked on rugby, league, AFL, cricket and netball. Ok, maybe not netball, but we are sports-mad country.

But unless you are holding a permanent residency or Aussie Passport, you should be worrying about a visa. Just because you are married to an Aussie does not guarantee your residency. Have a look at:

http://www.immi.gov.a...­

We have a few folks here who have Aussie partners, I hope they'll pipe in too!

Good luck with the decision!
Jules
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks, Jules! Also, thank you for the immigration link.