addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sydney Americans Message Board › Tax Time - Americans can save 2.5% on overpaid medicare taxes

Tax Time - Americans can save 2.5% on overpaid medicare taxes

A former member
Post #: 4
Hi guys,

Want get 2.5% of your gross income back from overpaid taxes?

Your employer automatically deducts 1.5% for a medicare levy and an extra surcharge 1% if you make more than ~$70k per year. However, if you were not entitled to medicare benefits (i.e. don’t have PR in Australia, UK, or Italy) then you can claim this 2.5% back.

You have to get a certificate from the Medicare Levy Exemption Certification Unit of Medicare Australia showing you were not entitled to Medicare benefits. You qualify for medicare and don’t qualify for the exemption if you have PR in any of the following countries: Australia, UK, Northern Ireland, Italy, Malta, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland, or Norway.

To get the certificate, fill this form out and post it in (takes approximately 4 weeks).
http://www.medicareau...­

Levy Exeptions:http://www.ato.gov.au...­

I did this research myself. Spread the word to those who might benefit from this knowledge.

Ben
A former member
Post #: 26
Thanks Ben. We get a lot of requests for Tax info.
Julie H.
user 10921802
Sydney, AU
Post #: 6
Your post was definitely helpful! Thanks Ben!
Julie