Top of any list of great Australian drives is Great Ocean Road.
Built between 1919 and 1932, the cliff-hugging road was hewn from the rock by 3000 returned World War I soldiers using picks, crowbars and shovels to help ‘restore’ their jaded war nerves. They dedicated the 14-year project as a memorial to their colleagues who died in the war.
Great Ocean Road starts at Torquay ends at port fairy, total stretch 289 km.
Day 1 (29/03/2013): Arrive Melbourne, stay & visit locally, unwind, relax, pubs, bar etc.
Day 2 (30/03/2013): Drive Great Ocean road & check places as mentioned below and stay last stop, unwind, relax, pubs, bars etc.
Day 3(31/03/2013): Departure to Sydney.
Places to see:
1.Torquay : Bells beach. Rip curl Pro & quicksilver fashion brands were born here so worth seeing official merchandise shops. Surfworld museum, dedicated to the art and culture of wave riding.
2. From Torquay head south along what is known as the ‘surf coast’ through Anglesea
3. Stop at Aireys Inlet and drive up to the lighthouse to peer down at the surfers below and snap a photo of the endless coastline.
4. Great Ocean Road Memorial Arch – another good place to snap a souvenir photo.
5. Take a break in one of the seaside cafes at Lorne and browse through the many boutiques that line the main street and stretch the legs at Erskine Falls
6. Apollo Bay is around an hour’s drive from Lorne, and pull over at Cape Patton Lookout for a stunning view and yet another great photograph.
7. The dense rainforest of Otway National Park. A must see attraction on this stretch is the Otway Fly, an elevated boardwalk through the rainforest canopy 25 metres above the ground.
8. Cape Otway Lighthouse, dodging ambling koalas as they cross the road and take a tour of this magnificent 1848 lighthouse. The views from the top are impressive.
9. Great Ocean Road’s famous cliffs and the famous 12 Apostles in Port Campbell National Park.
Transportation: TBD (flight or by road)
Flights: Return fare is $ 200 apprx pp
Car hire in Melbourne for great ocean road trip if going by flight: $ 40 pp apprx
Road: Return fare is $ 100 apprx pp or on actual.
Need 2 drivers / car and max 4 passengers if going by road and cars to be in fairly good condition considering long drive.
Accomodation: TBD ( camping or hotel / motel)
If hotel: $ 75 apprx pp on sharing basis.
Other costs: Food + tickets to parks, spots+ otway fly etc on actuals or sharing at the spot.
Need to book air tickets & hotel stay early in advance for discounts.
Only RSVP if you are 100 % sure you can make for this trip.