addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Sydney Expat Connection Message Board › Seeking advice on moving to and working in Sydney

Seeking advice on moving to and working in Sydney

A former member
Post #: 10
I am currently a marketing consultant in New York who is looking to move to Sydney. I was hoping to learn from you what it's like to move there from another country.

Please let me know your response to the following questions:

--What made you choose to move to Sydney?

--What are Australians like as people? I have heard they generally friendly, honest and direct. What has been your experience?

--How do Australians view work vs personal life? Is it commonly accepted to work 35 hours a week and then spend time with family? Are there certain cities or jobs where people use up most of their energy at work?

--How do Australians view foreigners or immigrants? Are we easily accepted into the community, or is there any hesitation or avoidance of us?

--The United States are going through a period of great uncertainty, in terms of both jobs, government, and social values. It seems that Australia is much more peaceful and cooperative, that it has no major economic or social problems. Is that true, or is there any major concern that you would say Australians are worried about?

--What do you think the challenges are for a foreigner or immigrant to work in Australia? Are there any restrictions or extra costs that employers have to pay in order to hire a foreigner?

--What is Sydney like? What sort of work do most people do there? Is their lifestyle very different from that of other Australians? Are there better locations you would recommend to live or work, like a more suburban town or a smaller city?

I realize these are a lot of questions. Since I don't know many people in Australia, any advice I can get would be helpful. If you'd prefer to tell me your advice over the phone, I can call you via Skype or SkypeOut. Also, if you know anyone else who I could speak with about Australia, that would definitely help.