Basic Electronics Series
Class 1 in a six-part series: Build a variable frequency tone generator while learning basic electronic prototyping and soldering techniques at the same time.
Electronic Components Overview.
• Passive Components (Resistors, Capacitors)
• Active components (diodes, transistors, semiconductors)
• Integrated Circuits (digital, analog, microprocessor)
• Schematic Symbols for Electronic Components
• Feed-through printed circuit boards, surface mount
PC boards and their related components
• Where to purchase electronic components locally and online
• Relative costs of electronics components when estimating
How to use a solderless breadboard for prototyping.
• Establishing Power Rails
• Component placement and interconnection
• Building simple circuits using passive components
• Building simple circuits using active components
(analog vs. digital)
• Breadboard a simple circuit
How to transfer a solderless breadboard circuit to a more permanent feed-through printed circuit board using soldering iron, jumper wires and hand tools.
• Handtools Overview: Solder and Soldering irons,
de-soldering tools, diagonal cutters, needlenose pliers,
• Working with feed-through printed circuit boards
• Mounting components and jumpers to interconnect
circuits from breadboard
• How to make a good solder connection on a double-sided
printed circuit board
• De-soldering components when repairing printed
• Cleaning the PC board after soldering