Come sing and play with us and be part of the best folk sing along/jam in the state! Check your inhibitions at the door and join our hootenanny. Let's raise the roof together! Is there a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon?
Most important points:
1. Please RSVP Yes if you plan to attend. RSVPs give us an idea of the best way to set up the room and more importantly, allow us to ensure the room is not overly crowded.
2. Since we use the Rise Up Singing songbook as the basis for our sing/jam, you'll want to obtain a copy. You can purchase them gently used and reasonably priced on eBay, half.com and amazon.com. There may be a few to borrow as well (one time only please).
3. You're strongly encouraged to occasionally bring lyrics to hand out, preferably with chords, for songs not in Rise Up Singing.
4. We ask for a donation, from $3 to $5, or whatever you can afford, to help offset the expenses of our comfortable meeting space. If you can't make a monetary donation but can contribute your enthusiastic voice or playing, we still want you to come.
5. You might want to bring something to drink as singing is likely to make you thirsty.
We're a friendly group sharing our love of singing and playing, and doing so in a non-judgmental, welcoming environment. COME CHECK US OUT!
Further details, if you like:
1. SOJO is about singing and playing along to all kinds of music, especially folk. While the emphasis is on singing, your musical instrument is a welcome and valuable accompaniment to the chorus of voices. We warmly welcome harmonicas, ukuleles, mandolins, banjos, dulcimers, fiddles, basses, autoharps, and all acoustic stringed, wind and bellows instruments. Some instrumentalists sing along with us, some just play. All the rest join in the merriment with just their voices. We even have a piano for anyone to use!
2. We meet the first Sunday of every month from 1:00 to 3:30 just outside of downtown St. Petersburg (exact location shown only to SOJO members).
3. To find out more about our format, click this link: http://www.meetup.com/tampabaysojo/about/. For even more about us: Go to "About Us" in the top left of our website under the group picture.
4. To see a sampling of songs you're likely to hear at SOJO, click here: http://www.meetup.com/tampabaysojo/messages/boards/thread/27010572
5. Feel free to take advantage of our very own Discussion Board, where you can talk about music, upcoming events or anything else you think might interest the group. Click "Discussions" then "Message Board" at the top of any of our pages.
6. We're also on Facebook! Here's the link: ttps://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/[masked]/
And as usual, we're at your service to answer any questions...or you can post them to our Message Board or Facebook group!
The requisite "Who Should Not Join" Department:
1. Non-participants. SOJO is a synergy of singers and instrumentalists, rather than a performance ensemble. Our growth, unfortunately, has made it impractical to accommodate spectators while maintaining our musical integrity. Rather than cramming a large number of people into our limited space, SOJO's goal is to make the singers and players as comfortable as possible. But if you'd like to bring an occasional guest who just wants to listen, that's fine. (Note: Nobody is expected to necessarily sing and/or play along to *every* song.)
2. People who have no intention of ever attending our events because they do not live in the greater Tampa Bay area.
3. People who are only trying to promote their business or find people to date.