LOVE, WAR, STRIFE, JUSTICE, GOOD TIMES, WORK, PROTEST, SPIRITUALS, BALLADS, SHANTIES!
Sing all this and more as we welcome all St Pete-area folkies to our inaugural Sing Out Jam Out!
Come to our hootenannies beginning September 16 and help us raise the roof every first and third Sunday afternoon. SOJO is about singing along to all kinds of music ranging from well-known traditional songs, to old-time Americana, all the way around to songs by the big names in folk and folk/rock from the '50s up to the present. We also throw in Beatles and other pop/rock songs.
WHILE THE EMPHASIS IS ON SINGING TOGETHER, your musical instrument is a welcome and valuable accompaniment to the chorus of voices. We warmly welcome harmonicas, mandolins, banjos, dulcimers, fiddles, basses, autoharps, and all acoustic stringed, wind and bellows instruments. Some instrumentalists sing along with us, some just play. All the rest make a joyful noise with just their voices.
See these links to get an even better idea of what we're about:
More about our format: http://www.meetup.com/tampabaysojo/about/
Even more about us: Go to "Read More About Us" in the top left of our website under the group picture.
Pictures of past SOJOs: http://www.meetup.com/folkSOJO/photos/
We look forward to meeting you. Please keep these SOJO guidelines in mind:
1. We're grateful to see such an enthusiastic response. Thank you for keeping your RSVPs up-to-date so that everyone who wants to attend can do so, or be placed on the waitlist after we reach our limit of 35. You can update your RSVP anytime by going to our homepage and clicking on the meetup in question ("SOJO Kick Off"), then changing your RSVP in the top right corner. Or you can use this shortcut (make sure you're signed into Meetup):
2. RSVP'ing "Yes," if that's your intention, is very useful to Meetup organizers in general as it helps significantly with crowd control and gives us an idea of how many chairs to set up. There's no need to RSVP "No" (although you may if you like), but we respectfully request that you honor Meetup's RSVP system:
- If you RSVP Yes, we're looking forward to seeing your smiling face!
- If you cannot get on the confirmed attendee list for a given SOJO session, please make plans to attend the next gathering instead!
3. Since we are primarily a Sing Along (with instrumentalists as our back up), it's important that you obtain a copy of Rise Up Singing, our group songbook. Most attendees would agree that the book's print is not large enough to facilitate sharing, so obtaining your own book would help you get the most out of our group. We'll have a small number of loaners available with a "borrow one time only" honor policy reserved for those who were unable to get the book but promise to sing "loud and proud."
4. You can get a reasonably-priced used copy of Rise Up Singing at Amazon, eBay, Half, Barnes and Noble online, etc. (Local bookstores are unlikely to carry it.) Don't be discouraged if you see high asking prices. There's no reason why anyone should charge more than $23 - the retail price for a new copy. Check back as more reasonably priced used copies are added on a regular basis. Check these links, for example:
If you prefer, you can order brand new copies from the Sing Out organization. They also carry the hard-to-find large print edition. And they offer a discount - $18 or $25, depending on print size. Here's their link:
5. You might want to get in the habit of bringing water with you, as singing is likely to make you thirsty.
6. We ask for a donation, from $3 to $5, or whatever you can afford, to help offset the expenses of our comfortable meeting space in the community room of a church near downtown St Pete. If you can't afford to make a donation, come anyway.
7. Feel free to take advantage of our very own Discussion Board, where you can talk about music, upcoming events or anything else you think might interest the group. Click on "Discussions" in the banner toward the top of any SOJO website page, then "Message Board." Or take this shortcut:
8. We're also on Facebook! Here's the link:
And as usual, we're at your service to answer any questions...or you can post them to our Message Board or Facebook group!
We're a non-judgmental group sharing our love of music, however it expresses through us, in a friendly, welcoming environment. COME CHECK US OUT!