Come make a joyful noise with us as SOJO continues. Check your inhibitions at the door and help us raise the roof as we sing and play loud and proud! The next event is Sunday, October 7, and every first and third Sunday thereafter.
Thank you all for making the kick off a success! We had a great time. I especially liked seeing the group being taught new songs, true to the spirit of folk music. Stick with us and you'll see the energy level rise higher and higher until we become a full fledged barn burning hootenanny!
SOJO is about singing and playing along to all kinds of music, especially folk. While the emphasis is on singing, your musical instrument is a welcome and valuable accompaniment to the chorus of voices. We warmly welcome harmonicas, mandolins, banjos, dulcimers, fiddles, basses, autoharps, and all acoustic stringed, wind and bellows instruments. Some instrumentalists sing along with us, some just play. All the rest join in the merriment with just their voices. We even have a piano for anyone to use!
See these links to get an even better idea of what we're about:
More about our format: http://www.meetup.com/tampabaysojo/about/
Even more about us: Go to "Read More About Us" in the top left of our website under the group picture.
Pictures of past SOJOs: http://www.meetup.com/folkSOJO/photos/
We look forward to meeting you. Please keep these SOJO guidelines in mind:
1. RSVP'ing "Yes," if that's your intention, is very useful to Meetup organizers in general as it helps us prepare for the right number of attendees. There's no need to RSVP "No," but feel free to do so if you like.
2. Since we are primarily a Sing Along (with instrumentalists as our back up), it's important that you obtain a copy of Rise Up Singing, our group songbook. Try these links (local bookstores are unlikely to carry it):
Don't be discouraged if you see high asking prices. There's no reason why anyone should charge more than $23 - the retail price for a new copy. Check back as more reasonably priced used copies are added on a regular basis.
3. If you prefer, you can order brand new copies from the Sing Out organization. They also carry the hard-to-find large print edition. And they offer a discount - $18 or $25, depending on print size. Here's their link:
4. We ask for a donation, from $3 to $5, or whatever you can afford, to help offset the expenses of our comfortable meeting space in the community room of a church near downtown St Pete. If you can't afford to make a donation, come anyway.
5. Feel free to take advantage of our very own Discussion Board, where you can talk about music, upcoming events or anything else you think might interest the group. Click on "Discussions" in the banner toward the top of any SOJO website page, then "Message Board." Or take this shortcut:
6. We're also on Facebook! Here's the link: ttps://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/102204969926729/
And as usual, we're at your service to answer any questions...or you can post them to our Message Board or Facebook group!
We're a non-judgmental group sharing our love of music, however it expresses through us, in a friendly, welcoming environment. COME CHECK US OUT!