A big warm thank you to all of you who have helped SOJO grow so quickly. Our second get together was even better than the first. We're finding our voice, so to speak, and the improved acoustics of the new space are putting us on a path to becoming a fully-fledged barn burning hootenanny. We're counting on your continued support to help get us there!
So check your inhibitions at the door and let's raise the roof together as we sing and play loud and proud! Is there a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon?
Most important points:
1. RSVPs give us an idea of the best way to set up the room. You can RSVP here:
http://www.meetup.com/tampabaysojo/events/85954382/ or the top right of our homepage.
2. Since we are primarily a Sing Along (with instrumentalists as our back up), you'll probably want to obtain a copy of Rise Up Singing, our group songbook. You can purchase gently used copies at reasonable prices on eBay, half.com and amazon.com. We will also have a few new copies of the latest edition for sale at our cost of $15 (retail $23).
3. Feel free to bring lyrics to hand out, preferably with chords, for songs not in Rise Up Singing.
4. We ask for a donation, from $3 to $5, or whatever you can afford, to help offset the expenses of our comfortable meeting space. If you can't afford to make a donation, come anyway.
5. You might want to bring something to drink as singing is likely to make you thirsty.
We're a non-judgmental group sharing our love of music, however it expresses through us, in a friendly, welcoming environment. COME CHECK US OUT!
Further details, if you like:
1. SOJO is about singing and playing along to all kinds of music, especially folk. While the emphasis is on singing, your musical instrument is a welcome and valuable accompaniment to the chorus of voices. We warmly welcome harmonicas, mandolins, banjos, dulcimers, fiddles, basses, autoharps, and all acoustic stringed, wind and bellows instruments. Some instrumentalists sing along with us, some just play. All the rest join in the merriment with just their voices. We even have a piano for anyone to use!
2. We meet the first and third Sunday of every month from 1:30 to 4:30 just outside of downtown St. Petersburg (exact location shown only to SOJO members).
3. See these links to get an even better idea of what we're about:
More about our format: http://www.meetup.com/tampabaysojo/about/
Even more about us: Go to "Read More About Us" in the top left of our website under the group picture.
Pictures of past SOJOs: http://www.meetup.com/folkSOJO/photos/
4. Feel free to take advantage of our very own Discussion Board, where you can talk about music, upcoming events or anything else you think might interest the group. Click on "Discussions" in the banner toward the top of any SOJO website page, then "Message Board." Or take this shortcut:
5. We're also on Facebook! Here's the link: ttps://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/[masked]/
And as usual, we're at your service to answer any questions...or you can post them to our Message Board or Facebook group!