|Sent on:||Sunday, September 2, 2012 5:20 PM|
Hello to the Best Folkies in the World,
In two short weeks, we'll be starting up our Sing Out Jam Out ("SOJO"). We wanted to take a minute to remind everyone of some important points that will make our get togethers run smoothly and ensure our comfort:
1. We're grateful to see such an enthusiastic response. Thirty-five people have RSVP'd Yes for our first meetup, with a waitlist for those who'd like to take the slots of the people who can no longer make it on that date. So, please, if your plans have changed, update your RSVP accordingly. You can do so by going to our homepage and clicking on the meetup in question ("SOJO Kick Off"), then changing your RSVP in the top right corner. Or you can use this shortcut (make sure you're signed into Meetup):
2. RSVP'ing is very useful to Meetup organizers in general as it helps significantly with crowd control and gives us an idea of how many chairs to set up. So we respectfully request that you honor Meetup's RSVP system. If you cannot get on the attendee list for a given SOJO session, please make plans to attend the next gathering instead!
3. Since we are primarily a Sing Along (with instrumentalists as our back up), it's important that you obtain a copy of Rise Up Singing, our group songbook. Most attendees would agree that the book's print is not large enough to facilitate sharing, so obtaining your own book would help you get the most out of our group. We'll have a small number of loaners available with a "borrow one time only" honor policy reserved for those who were unable to get the book but promise to sing "loud and proud."
4. You can get a reasonably-priced used copy of Rise Up Singing at Amazon, eBay, Half, Barnes and Noble online, etc. (Local bookstores are unlikely to carry it.) Check these links, for example:
If you prefer, you can order brand new copies from the Sing Out organization. They also carry the hard- to-find large print edition. Here's their link:
5. You might want to get in the habit of bringing water with you, as singing is likely to make you thirsty.
6. Feel free to take advantage of our very own Discussion Board, where you can talk about music, upcoming events or anything else you think might interest the group. Click on "Discussions" in the banner toward the top of any SOJO website page, then "Message Board." Or take this shortcut:
7. In an email following this one, we'll be sending a list of what experience tells us are some of the most well-liked songs in Rise Up Singing, with their page numbers. It'll help those who might not have had enough advance time to locate their favorite songs and page numbers and keep the circle's momentum going once we're underway. Of course, you're under no obligation to limit your choice to the songs on that list (it's a tiny sample of the 1,200 songs in the book!). You're also welcome to bring handouts for songs not in the book, preferably with lyrics AND chords, enough to go around.
And as usual, we're at your service to answer any questions...or you can post them to the Message Board!
See you all soon. Keep on smiling, singing and playing!
Rick and Nettle