addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Tampa Bay Ukulele Society Message Board › Pittsburgh to Tampa move :-)

Pittsburgh to Tampa move :-)

Herb M.
user 8322964
Palm Harbor, FL
Post #: 5
I got the offer to transfer to Tampa area from Pittsburgh :-) Looking for some advice again. My wife seems to be focused on Pinellas County area, good since the TBUS is right there, but wondering about schools and safe kid friendly neighborhoods for my kids, 10 & 7. So far she likes Dunedin, Safety Harbor, Palm Harbor and Oldsmar. Any thoughts or concerns with these areas? We will be renting for the first 2-3 years until we get a good idea of the area, but would like to buy/stay in the area we rent in so the kids don't have to change schools when we buy.

Anyone here in Real Estate rentals business ;-) ?

Herb Mooney
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Herb,
I can tell you my wife and I really like Oldsmar and Palm Harbor. We currently live in St. Petersburg with our 2 young children (5 and 2 years old). We started looking for a wholesome area to raise our kids with good schools and neighborhoods about 18 months ago. We've looked all over the county and as far up as South Pasco County. We were impressed with the Oldsmar area, because it is close to everything, but, at the same time, feels like a small community.
Hope that helps. :)
Steve B.
bassfiddlesteve
Tarpon Springs, FL
Post #: 42
I think all of the communties you listed are good choices. My daughter lives in Safety Harbor and I live in Tarpon Springs (just north of Palm Harbor) and we think it's a nice area for the same reasons Herb does.
Herb M.
user 8322964
Palm Harbor, FL
Post #: 6
Todd,

Do you plan to stay in St Petersburg then, or do you and your family plan to move up to Palm Harbor or Oldsmar? How are the schools in St Petersburg and Pinellas Park? It might be easier for me to get to Temple Terrece from the south side of the county from what I can tell traffic wise.

Thanks again,

Herb Mooney
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Herb,
We plan on leaving St. Petersburg, unless our oldest son gets into a fundamental school (based on a lottery). If he gets in, his little brother is guaranteed a spot also. I have lived in St. Pete for 25 years, if we didn't have children it probably wouldn't bother me. My wife is an educator, we have researched extensively and, as far as public schools go, Palm Harbor, Oldsmar, Tarpon Springs and Seminole (in no particular order) have the best schools and it appears lower crime rates also.

As far as real estate goes, in my opinion, North county is the way to go. Seminole has a reputation for good schools. The downside, at least for us, is the housing is older and is priced every bit as high as the housing in North county. A lot of times we found ourselves comparing a house built in the 50s/60s/70s, in Seminole (that needed upgrading), to a house built in the last 10 years in Oldsmar.

Something else to consider is US19. They have been working on 19 for years now and I have no idea when it will be completed. Traffic can get backed up very easily. Steve might be able to answer that, much better than I can. Because of the construction on 19, we decided to focus on housing on the East side of Lake Tarpon.

Ultimately, we would rather be in North County.