addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Tampa Bay Vegan & Vegetarian Meetup Group Message Board › Vegan Bake Sale for Haiti

Vegan Bake Sale for Haiti

A former member
Post #: 53
As we all know, Haiti is facing a tremendously difficult time recovering from a devastating earthquake. I saw that the Post Punk Kitchen is encouraging vegan bake sales to benefit the Haiti relief. I think this would be a great idea for us to join in on.

Check it out here: Vegan Bake Sales for Haiti

So, I need lots of input on the following items:

1) Date
2) Location
3) Donation recipient
4) Can you contribute (baked goods, time, money, etc)?
A former member
Post #: 54
My thoughts so far:

1) A Saturday, maybe January 30?

2) I'm not sure... a local business or maybe a farmers market

3) Animal Relief Coalition of Haiti (ARCH) - A unified response effort under the leadership of World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) and International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW)

4) I will probably bake some chocolate chip cookies and I can sell early in the morning.
Nina P.
user 5253469
Tampa, FL
Post #: 1
I do not bake but would be willing to help with manning a table or helping otherwise..and I think the donation recipient listed above is an excellent choice! IFAW AND WSPA are both awesome and affective organizations for animals, especially in international disaster response situations. The date would probably work for me too. Nina
Elaine S.
user 8624458
Saint Petersburg, FL
I do not bake but would be willing to help with manning a table or helping otherwise..and I think the donation recipient listed above is an excellent choice! IFAW AND WSPA are both awesome and affective organizations for animals, especially in international disaster response situations. The date would probably work for me too. Nina

I'm having a house guest for the week so Jan 30 is not good for me to participate. Elaine
amber
asimp333
Plant City, FL
Post #: 116
location ideas:
- Ybor City has a saturday market and i have done vegan bake sales there before. the average about $200, which is really not good seeing how allot of vegan bake sales on the world wide vegan bake sale website were making $1000+ but, maybe its just our area. if you are interested in that location i do have a connection with the lady who runs it, and in the past she has let us setup for free cause she supports animal rescue etc. because other venders do pay a small fee.

- and there is some kind of friday market every friday in down town tampa, but not sure how many people that pulls in.

- does anyone know if there is anything else like that in an area that might draw out more people?

As far as donation recipient, what about Food for Life Global, which is a vegetarian/vegan food relief? But my suggestion is to possibly split the donation between 2 different groups, 1 who helps people and 1 who helps animals. The question is which groups actually give ALL the money to Haiti. i would really like to see the donation go straight there and not caught up paying the middle man.

and, i can help bake, set up, man the table, etc, etc...

please let me know if i can be of any other help.

thanks sara!

~amber
A former member
I would be happy to bake for a sale but I am not able to man a table as I work all day on Saturdays. Let me know if we do this ( I think it's a great idea!) and I can arrange a drop off of goodies.

Your fab for doing this!
-Marianne
A former member
Post #: 55
Amber, whatever connections you have would be useful as I still don't really have any in that department. Farmers markets are probably our best bet, though. I have a list on the fridge from Creative Loafing awhile back.

Also, I have to say, as one who has studied and aspires to have a career in nonprofit, overhead is not an entirely bad thing! People in nonprofits do some really tough work and deserve to be compensated. :)
amber
asimp333
Plant City, FL
Post #: 117
i do agree that allot of non profit groups do work very hard and deserve to be compensated to some degree, but the things that were happening after hurricane katrina, where money wasnt going where it should have gone in allot of cases has put a bad taste in my mouth for some of those groups. and i feel that i we are volunteering our time, efforts, and money to raise funds for haiti, then it should all go straight to relief and not to fatten someones wallet if you know what i mean.

and i definitely think we should support a group or groups that supply vegetarian foods or we are defeating the purpose of having a vegan bake sale. and i still think donating to help the animals is a great idea as well, because they are easily forgotten by many in a time like this