align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Tarrant County Libertarian Meetup Message Board › What the 28th Amendment would read if I wrote it...

What the 28th Amendment would read if I wrote it...

A former member
Post #: 4
I recently found out about a movie in preproduction called 28th Amendment, supposedly its some sort of conspiracy flick (I'm a sucker for those), Denzel Washington is rumored to have signed on and so has Tom Cruise. Despite my aversion to anything even remotely connected to Mr. Cruise, I might just rent it in 3 years.

It got me thinking, however... I've heard about the push to make the Defense of Marriage Act a constitutional amendment and I wondered about what other ideas that's come up with making our inadequate constitution more perfect. Here are the google search results of the query "28th amendment":

I would like to add to the list my own suggestion. Here it is, errors and all. Please, suggest changes, comment and even criticize.

The Twenty-eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution

Section 1. The sixteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

Section 2. Except for as provided in subsequent sections of this article, no taxes, excises, tariffs, fees, direct, indirect or otherwise may be laid or collected from United States citizens, foreign nationals conducting lawful business with United States citizens, on any United States sovereign territory or any United States territory by proxy, or legal entities controlled by any of the aforementioned types.

Section 3. The United States Congress may lay, and may authorize the Executive Branch of the United States government to collect, a sales tax on goods and services sold to the end-user on United States sovereign territory. Such sales tax shall be a percentage of the nominal market price and it may not exceed thirty percent of such price of such goods and services. The United States Congress may classify group of goods and services into differing classes of rates.

Section 4. This article does limit the rights and powers of the several States in laying and collecting of revenue.

Section 5. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within ten years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

What do think? Also what would you pen if you were to write an amendment?
John S.
spijo03
Colleyville, TX
Post #: 8
I like Seinfeld's idea of requiring everyone to wear a name badge. Everyone would be so friendly then...
"Hey... uh, Bob Sanderson! How are you doing?"

Seinfeld... the friendly fascist!
A former member
Post #: 2
My 28th amendment would clarify the "establishment clause" of the first amendment to explicitly acknowledge the principle of church/state separation, prohibiting the government from establishing, favoring, endorsing, or in any way associating with any religion, church, or spiritual organization.

The amendment would clearly state that the US Government is and should be a secular-based entity. This amendment would apply to all state and local governments as well (especially the contradictory Article 1, Section 4 of the Texas Bill of Rights).

We do not need, nor should we desire our government to be a theocracy. This amendment would close all "interpretation loopholes" currently being exploited by the religious right, creationists, and those who wish to impose their blind faith-based beliefs, morals, and values on the nation.

"Freedom of religion" is meaningless without freedom FROM religion.