The Tarrant County Libertarian Meetup Message Board › How we could forge an alliance between the left and the libertarian party.

How we could forge an alliance between the left and the libertarian party.

A former member
Post #: 21
Jeff - My "snipes" are referring to the outside perception of the LP. As I've said on these and other forums since I've joined the LP this year, this party is perceived to be a bunch of radical anarchist lunatics, like it or not. Heck, until the LP started adopting a more sensible platform, I had the same perception. I'm stunned at how many long-time LPers are in denial about this negative perception.

I know this perception is a fact because in my short time with the party, as I've attempted to be a "reporter and teacher", that perpection manifests itself in 9 out of 10 people I talk to. And yes, I actually had someone assert that "The Libertarian Party is a bunch of conspiracy theory lunatics".

So like it or not, you need to add one to your list:

4) There is a leeriness about the LP itself, people who would otherwise join our ranks, increase our numbers, and ultimately help eradicate problems 1-3, have the perception that we are a bunch of radical anarchist lunatics(Their words, not mine). To eliminate this negative perception, the LP needs to demonstrate the contrary by maintaining a sensible platform that takes an incremental approach to implementing libertarian ideas.

Perception is reality. We win the perception battle, we start winning the war.
Jeff D.
JeffDaiell.com
Houston, TX
Post #: 50
I've run for office four times, and almost never have run across the reactions you cite. Judging from the audiences I speak with, and the election results I see, we have two major problems. One is the leeriness Americans have for alternative candidates in general. The other is our paucity of funding.

In non-partisan races, even when LP candidates are clearly identified as such, we do well, and often win, especially at the local level, where special-interest funding is not an overwhelming factor.

Jeff Daiell
www.JeffDaiell.com
A former member
Post #: 22
Well, not to keep beating a dead horse here, but I'm not imagining these reactions. The perception problem is there...we ignore it at our own risk.
Leah
SuperBiller
Euless, TX
Post #: 67
My experiences are the same as JSJ's.