addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Tarrant County Libertarian Meetup Message Board › Libertarians or Tea Partiers?

Libertarians or Tea Partiers?

Steven
user 11545787
Bromley, GB
Post #: 3
As we get closer to the midterms, it is becoming more evident to me that the Tea Party and my vision of Libertarian beliefs are at odds.

The Tea Parties do mainly seem to value getting the government out of a lot of Economic parts of the peoples lives. However, I am seeing more and more of them advocating restricting individuals personal freedoms to live their lives as they please.

With many libertarian candidates actively courting the Tea Party vote, how are others who are considering voting Libertarian reconciling these concerns?
Leah
SuperBiller
Euless, TX
Post #: 84
The TEA party's main focus has evolved into ousting the incumbent and replacing them with - anyone. The selection of Christine O'Donnell thanks to TEA party backing is quite disturbing to me. This woman's personal life is a mess, she keeps lying to cover up or diminish the mess, and I have a VERY hard time believing, after watching her for so long on Bill Maher's Politically Incorrect, that she would not turn out to be a theocrat.

The TEA party is becoming a Democrat's dream, because if it keeps backing these substanceless and questionable candidates to run against Democrats they're going to defeat their original purpose of lowering taxes through more fiscal representation.
John S.
spijo03
Colleyville, TX
Post #: 42
I agree with Leah... (and Super Biller)... As Jimmy Kimmel said yesterday, "The only person Christine O'Donnell has in her camp are non-masturbating satanists".

Remember that politics is selling and the primary motivator of being sold is fear... It's easy to scare people into voting for you and as a result, restrict other's freedom to quell their fears. It's more difficult to get people to rationally analyze their situations and respond without requiring others to 'sacrifice'.