The Wednesday night ride is back and better than ever!
I am projecting April 9 as the first Wednesday night ride of the season. Our second week of March has been good so far in getting rid of the snow and ice, and hopefully that trend will continue. Of course anything can happen, so watch this site for any updates.
The start time for the first few weeks of the ride will be at 6:00 until the days longer, so do what you have to do to be ready for feet up at 6:00. Sunset is @ 7:51 so ride time is more valuable than ever.
We will meet at the parking lot of the Big Rivers Regional Trail - West Trailhead: Overlook parking entrance is off Sibley Memorial Highway just northwest of the intersection of Highway 13 and Mendota Heights Road in Mendota Heights, MN (a link to a map is below). There is free, limited parking available at the stone overlook - leave time for parking in case the lot is full.
The ride will be about 21 miles at a moderate 15-16 mph pace, with a few planned stops to get every one together.
• On trail towards Mendota and across the Mendota Bridge
• Into Fort Snelling
• Through Minnehaha
• Up West river road to Lake Street (Option to cross lake street - 19 miles)
• Up West River Road to Franklin Ave (Option to cross Franklin - 21 miles)
• Down East River Road
• Crossing 35E to LilyDale
• Down to the Big River Trail
• Back to the starting parking lot and off to Lucky's we go!!!
Depending on the group the group or part of the group may do the shorter route to cross the river at lake street bridge. If any riders are feeling ambitious and know the route well, there are welcome to add extra miles or skip a planned stop, just be sure to check in with the ride leader.
As the season progresses the ride may be lengthened by crossing the river at the Stone Arch Bridge, or adding Hidden Falls / Crosby Farms trails; however they are often under water or mud during the early spring.
FOR THIS RIDE:
• Daylight will be quite valuable for the first few rides of the year. Please do what you can in advance to be ready for feet up at 6:00. Sunset @ 7:51.
• Have your bike checked out, including inflating and riding on the tires for at least a couple miles. We want to minimize the
• If you have a choice, a mountain or hybrid bike with wider tires would help out on first few spring rides. Trails may have debris or be muddy or rough.
ONGOING RIDE NOTES:
• Helmets are required - please bring and wear a properly fit helmet.
• All riders need to have a signed waiver on file. Previous riders do not have to fill out a new form, but new riders to the group need to fill out a waiver. Here is the link to the form: http://files.meetup.com/1152206/TCBMWaiver.doc. It is always more efficient to bring along a completed form; or someone will may have blank forms for the first few rides.
• Bring a functional spare tire and bike lights.
• Afterward, we can have some social time with a beverage and/or a bite at Lucky's 13 one of our group sponsors. Lucky's 13: http://www.luckys13pub.com
• Bring your sense of humor and adventure.