Tech Alliance Message Board › MakerSpace Agenda/Homework

MakerSpace Agenda/Homework

Robert K.
broofa
Bend, OR
Hi all!  Thanks for coming to tomorrow nights meeting.  I'm excited to continue the makerspace dialogue!

After talking with Larry, Carlos, and a few others it's clear that one of the more immediate challenges we have is in developing some consensus around what it is we're building.  Furthermore, whatever it is will benefit from the support of our community and that's something we have yet to properly gauge.  With this in mind we thought it'd be useful to set ourselves the following goals for tomorrow's meeting:

• Produce a 1-page "executive summary" of the makerspace project
  • Identify people and organizations outside the group we could put this document in front of to get their reactions.

So for your "homework", please read (or at least scan) this article on writing executive summaries:

http://www.garage.com...­

In particular think about how each of the different sections it addresses apply to whatever your current vision of a makerspace is.  We'll be working thru some Lean Canvas-inspired exercises to distill everyones' ideas down to something that (hopefully) can be turned into a real document.

And, yeah, trying to do this with 20+ enthusiastic, opinionated, mostly-strangers' in under two hours is kind of insane.  I expect some collaborative mayhem, honestly.  And I'm absolutely certain that whatever we come up with tomorrow is not going to be what we end up building.  But having a common vision, something to throw darts at, will be extremely valuable moving forward.   (And it's gonna be a lot of fun, I'm sure.)

Oh, and we'll have beer and pizza so no worries on that front.

Cheers, and see you tomorrow!