An evening kibitzing and coding.
Columbus Code Jam is a casual meetup to pair on cool projects, to get one-on-one guidance from experienced developers & sys admins, to network, learn, and eat pizza.
Topics we've discussed while hacking:
- Git Workflows for moving from single-developers to small teams.
- Modelling tree structures in RDBMS tables and the SQL to query them.
- High-level architecture of a Rails application.
- Computing in the bad-old-days of dial-up.
- Twitter Bootstrap
- Getting a rails app from Github running from scratch.
- Beginner's Resources - How to learn how to program.
- The security implication of using "#!/usr/bin/env ruby" vs "#!/path/to/ruby"
- Upgrading a Rails 2 app to Rails 3, and filling the gap in test coverage.
- Embedding disqus or facebook comments in a web page.
- Which file type to save your HTML as on you mac in orde tot make web servers and browsers recognize it as HTML. [plain text, not rich text]
- What are the IT needs of a small not-for-profit foundation looking to create an informational web site for foundation members/subscribers?
- How to write Hello World in C++ (When did C++ get namespaces?)
- How often does one need to collect data samples to monitor the performance of an application.
Come and add your voice and language to the conversation.
Refreshments for Columbus Code Jam August 2013 are generously sponsored by Tek Systems.
Columbus Code Jam August 2013 is brought to you by: Columbus Ruby Brigade, Columbus Perl Mongers, primal scream therapy, and a nice hot cup of coffee.