The San Francisco Libertarian Party Meetup Group Message Board › Efficiency of Libertarian social safety nets vs. law enforcement expenditures

Efficiency of Libertarian social safety nets vs. law enforcement expenditures

A former member
Post #: 1
If there was empirical evidence that paying for a social safety net provides better protection from crimes than the inefficient law enforcement operations of the government, then wouldn’t it be more “Libertarian” to be for a minimal social safety net for all, rather than to take my money and waste it on inefficient law enforcement? The latter leaves me footing the bill for my own private security if I ever really need it. The same applies to national defense. If everyone was given $800 bucks a month and access to cheap drugs (no matter what their income level, with the "necessary evil" consumption tax to pay for it), they either could rot in their own dens and leave the rest of us alone, or do something productive, and keep the $800/month in either case. That's much cheaper than the vast prison-industrial complex that I now foot the bill for, and the national defense budget on top of it.