Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › Spring Back Packing Lost Coast

Spring Back Packing Lost Coast

A former member
Post #: 1
I am planning to go to the Lost Coast for a 3 night 3 day backpacking trip on the 29th of March till April 1st. We are planning to leave on Friday May 29th in the afternoon from the East Bay. I have space for two more people. If we get more people interested we can always rent a car. The Trip is almost 30 miles and will start at the North side of the Kings Crest trailhead (heading South) to Buck Creek trail which will lead us to the Lost Coast Trail (Going North) to the Rattle Snake Ridge and back to the Kings Crest Trail. If anybody is interested please feel free to email me.

On the way back on April 1st we are planning to stop at Harbin Hot Springs for a few hours.

There is possibility of rain this time of year and a bear canister is required. While I do have experience I cannot be held liable for accidents, injuries or damage to property or persons. Since this is a multi day trip Individual fitness is a must.
Justin
user 17988341
Campbell, CA
Post #: 15
Hi,

I am down for this trip. Been wanting to do it for a while.

Email inbound.

~ Justin
A former member
Post #: 6
That weekend works great and I'd love to do Lost Coast!
We'll need 2 cars ya? I have a school bus that can take 5-6 ppl plus gear. (Only 2 seatbelts though)
Once you get a crew together lets talk more
Cheers,
Jan
415-513-2775
Giulia
user 9468382
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 10
I'm interested. I have a car - a Corolla, so not a 4WD - which can take two more people and the gear.
A former member
Post #: 6
I'd be interested too - if nothing major comes across. Never been to that area, wanted to explore long time.

- Alex.
A former member
Post #: 2
I've been waiting a long time to get back to the Lost Coast! As long as I can get Fri & Mon off work I would love to make this trip! What is the difficulty of this hike plan as well as pace of this group of people going, thanks!
~CaryLynn
Greg L.
user 50924382
Oakland, CA
Post #: 5
Would love to do this trip. Please count me in.
A former member
Post #: 2
Great to see so many responses here is the rough intinery

Sunday 29th: deaprt the bay area around 1pm and get to the North Kings Crest trailhead. Hike in about a quater mile and set camp.

Saturday 30th: Break camp and be reay to trek by approximately 8 am. South on the Kings Crest Trail toward Buck Creek Trail and head west on Buck Creek Trail. This day will be the longest day of trekking approximately 12 miles. We will camp along the Buck Creek Trail.

Sunday 31st: Start Trekking by 9am (This could change based on tide conditions) west on the Buck Creek Trail to the Lost Coast Trail and head North on the Loast Coast Trail toward the Rattle Snake Ridge. Camp along Rattle Snake Ridge. Approximately 8 miles.

Monday 1st: Prepare to start trekking by 9 am heading East on the Rattle Snake Ridge toward the Kings Crest Trail North and back to the trail head. Approximately 7 miles.

There isn't too much elevation change along the Kings Crest Trail or the Lost Coast (obviously since it is at sea level), but the Buck Creek Trailhead will see approxiamtely 2500 feet loss and the Rattle Snake Ridge will see about a 300 feet gain.

This time of the year bears are out and about so a bear canister is required. Furthermore this time of the year is the wetter part of the year mild rain will not be a deterent for me atleast.

I know that we are still about six weeks aways from this trip, but if there is anybody who is not sure about going please don't wait till the last minute. I also spoke to the information center and they said that a 4 wheel drive might be needed depending upon conditions.

If anybody has any questions please feel free to email me.
Life is to short not be adventurous.
A former member
Post #: 3
In response to alot of people I am fairly accomodating towards hiking pace. This trip has a little elevation gain but for the most part is flat. The second day will be the only day that we will have to make good time to make sure we are not caught crossing a part of the lost coast trail during high tide. There is a section that becomes impassable which is why the first day is the longest day. Otherwise it should not be a problem.

On Monday I was also looking to stop at Harbin Hot Springs for a few hours on the way back home.
A former member
Post #: 7
What is the campfire situation there?