Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › Do you use alcohol stoves?

Do you use alcohol stoves? I make them and want to meet other people who share the interest.

Michael F.
user 85673892
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 1
I recently joined backpacking buddies. I look forward meeting some of you! I spend a lot of time making an alcohol stove system and want to share my video with all of you. I don't sell them, just enjoy making them and giving them to friendswink

http://www.youtube.co...­
Sara
sarazadi
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 7
I'd like to learn how they work! I'm considering one for a long trip this summer.
Michael F.
user 85673892
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 2
If you are interested in learning how to make and use one I would check out the Fancy Feast Cat Food Can Stove. All you need to make it is a can of fancy feast and a hole puncher.

http://www.youtube.co...­

If you want to check out and learn how to make other designs then check out Zen and the Art of Alcohol Stoves. It's the site that got me into making what I make now.

http://zenstoves.net/...­

Cheers!
Harry N.
NWhkr
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 8
Mike - This looks amazing and you have put some great diligence and craftsmanship to it. Thanks for sharing.
Justin
user 17988341
Campbell, CA
Post #: 17
Thanks for sharing Mike! I have researched these and seen some made.

You have done a great job. Not bad at all on weight, flame control and packaging.

I would like to give one a whirl sometime.
Michael F.
user 85673892
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 3
Thanks you two! Being 5.4 ounces for your entire cook set the weight is pretty good, I think. This system is good for boiling water. You can make mac and cheese in it but the capacity is limited.
frank
user 9194737
Alameda, CA
Post #: 102
I've used alcohol stoves for 10 years. All different designs from home made to ones that I have purchased. It is really hard to beat the Caldera Cone especially the Ti-Tri systems which allows you to use alcohol, Esbit, and even small sticks. This is the system the majority of PCT thrus use and for good reason. The pot stand wind screen combo provides stability and a greater degree of safety in real world Wilderness conditions.

I have always been a proponent of this type of system but each year many fires are started and people injured by folks who don't use them properly. Alcohol is an open flame. A lot of the problems occur when transferring the alcohol from the storage bottle to the stove. The other problem is the storage bottle themselves. Alcohol tends to seep thru the threads of some plastic soda bottles and oven an extended period will dissolve the threads. So practice with your stove before you go out into the Wilderness.
Michael F.
user 85673892
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 4
Thanks for the heads-up Frank. You are right-Alcohol stoves are more dangerous and you have to know what you are doing.
Tom M.
user 49162302
Redwood City, CA
Post #: 1
I saw one of the stoves that Mike makes in person this weekend and it is really cool - amazing craftsmanship and attention to detail. I would still like one of those beer can screens for my dragonfly - it would need a cutout for the fuel line and throttle though. Was thinking our next trip might have to be Henry Coe so maybe we can coordinate.

Just going to make some coffee... WHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR­RRR -my dragonfly jet engine stove noise for all you alcohol stove people :)
Michael F.
user 85673892
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 5
Hey Tom-Thanks for the comments! I can give you one for sure. I have a similar stove to your dragonfly and will make one that is tall enough and has a place for the fuel line. Hopefully give it to you at Henry Coe!