addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › Trekking and Rafting in Ladakh

Trekking and Rafting in Ladakh

PR
user 7550516
Belmont, CA
Post #: 4
I will be in Ladakh, India around 20th July. I plan to go rafting on Zanskar/Indus river and am also considering going to Stok. If anyone has been there I would love to hear from you.
Stephanie
cowtownrunner51
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 31

I can give you local contacts in Leh, if you want to do a trek, but in general, my recommendation is, bring your own gear, and plan at least a week to acclimatize, since the valley is 15000 feet, and treks go strait up from there. I spent all my acclimatizing time in the Buddhist monasteries, which are all very comfortable, and, well, charming spaces. Be sure to wake up for the early prayers, which start at 4am.

The Kardung-la pass is gorgeous, tallest motorable road goas to 18000 feet and change, and is army resupply route, slow going, and you get to meet some very friendly Indian soldiers. I happen to have a good friend that is trekking there right now, and you may be able to connect at a chai shop in Leh, he is more into the religious culture aspect. Contact me if you'd like more. There is a lot to learn about how the local system works there.