addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › What would you do?

What would you do?

Zeke T.
user 11690892
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 14
When you visit a park for the first time, how do you pick the trails you want to backpack on?

I'm asking this because I need input for my thesis project. I would appreciate your sharing. Thank you.
Zeke
Beverly
user 9962847
Oakland, CA
Post #: 15
I'm lazy so I usually research trail books from the library and online photos that seem interesting.

And if all that is not available, I look at a topo map and choose a trail according to where I can get the best views for my buck. (ie. how much elevation gain do I have to do to get above tree line)

2 cents.
A former member
Post #: 3
I try to pick one that will lead me at least 10 miles into the wilderness.
Richard
MrRedwood
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 31
I've been backpacking for thirty-plus years, and my tendency is to start with a documented trail, looking a guide books, websites, magazine articles (I subscribe to Backpacker), etc. Once I get there, if I'm liking it I chat with others in the backcountry as we're passing. I use their comments to study topo maps, query the 'net, and try to get to know the area in more depth.