Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › Weekend july 30-31

Weekend july 30-31

Ellie
LisG
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 55
Hi!

I'm fairly new to backpacking - I've traveled all over the world with a backpack but I've only done two overnight backpacking trips. One was up an erupting volcano, but guides carried our bags :) The other was the Zion Narrows, which was pretty intense!

I do a lot of cycle touring though so I have all the lightweight gear and am very familiar with camping. I do lots of day hikes too.

I'd like to do more backpacking trips though, and am free that weekend. I'm not sure what constitutes a good two day trip, and none of my friends are backpackers - they're all cycle tourers :) Any suggestions on a good place to go, anyone wanting to join?

I've tried to find a book on good backpacking trips in the bay area, specifically one that would include information on required permits, how long in advance they should be booked etc, as that sort of information is quite a bit of research for each destination... but I couldn't find one. Any recommendations would be great.

I guess for that weekend I'd look at Henry Coe or maybe Sky Trail? I should mention I don't have a car but am willling to rent one.

Thanks!

Lis
frank
user 9194737
Alameda, CA
Post #: 84
Henry Coe is more for Winter/Spring. Gets pretty hot there.

Keep your eye out here maybe someone will Post a trip for next weekend. Lots for this weekend.

Pt. Reyes is a good place if nothing else. You can get there with Public Transit. You just have to make a Camping Reservation in advance.

Good Luck.
A former member
Post #: 1

I'd be up for a trip to Coe Park or maybe even to the near by more highly elevated Joseph D. Grant Park.

I have a car too. We could fit three more people besides us.

Justin
user 17988341
Campbell, CA
Post #: 5
I would be down for something the 2nd or 3rd weekend of Auguest......

Anywhere is cool with me. :)
A former member
Post #: 1
I posted a trip for Lassen Aug 18-21... moderate hike through lava sand, good fishing.
Ellie
LisG
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 56
Yesterday I saw the description for your Lassen trip, and it sounded very tempting! It's hard for me to take a couple of days off, but it could happen, and I've been wanting to go to Lassen for a very long time. However, today I can no longer find the trip - did you remove it?