Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › Conservation Field Work in the Sierra Nevada- Save the Frogs!

Conservation Field Work in the Sierra Nevada- Save the Frogs!

Stephanie
cowtownrunner51
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 40
BABB:

A rare opportunity has come up to get involved in a Department of Fish and Game project to Save the Frogs.

This is for everyone, the only requirements are that you can be self-contained (ie backpack off trail in the wilderness), that you can lift heavy loads, and that you can dedicate a full weekend. You don't have to have any training in biology, wildlife restoration, or environmental engineering.

We'll join DFG staff for a weekend in the back country, to assist in establishing critical habitat refuges at high altitude mountain lakes. The yellow legged mountain frog is an officially endangered species, vulnerable to prediation by fish, and we'll be erecting fish nets in lakes, and doing fish removal.

This is a chance to work on legacy of conservation in california, and learn about conservation from wildlife biologists. DFG will also pay a nominal sum per diem. This will be one weekend in October, depending on our availability. There are also opportunities after winter, for week-long conservation expeditions into the Sierra Nevada.

Let me know if you're interested and want to join in.
-Marcie
Paul D.
svimages
San Jose, CA
Post #: 32
Marcie, I am off in the middle of the week. Are these opportunities available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays?

Paul
Suzy
user 14009456
Oakland, CA
Post #: 2
I would really love to do this. I am available all days in October weekday and weekend (with enough advance notice) except 10/14-10/25. This sounds fabulous. Where in the Sierras would it be, do you know? -Suzy
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Susie,
I might be available for the weekends of 15th-16th or 22nd/23rd. Am certainly intrigued, but would like more information, especially given this is happening in a much cooler season in the Sierra Nevada. (e.g.: What's the general location? Is a carpool/transportation provided? Bear canister required?)

Thanks!
Michelle
Suzy
user 14009456
Oakland, CA
Post #: 3
http://www.mylfrog.in...­

How's the weekend of October 8th?!

Which part of the Sierras? Yosemite area or Sequoia?

Stephanie
cowtownrunner51
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 43
Let me provide a little more context.

This is a project that we are volunteering to assist official staff on. We will be handling the scientific equipment, and we'll also have a chance to do conservation practice first hand.

The weekend that we've chosen is Oct 15-16. Please get in touch with me offline if you are serious about this project.

Happy Trails!
Marcie