add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › TRT Thru Hike

TRT Thru Hike

A former member
Post #: 23
Depending on the local bear situation I will either.... do nothing at all, hang food, use an ursack, or use a canister; which ever is the lightest option that gives me peace of mind.

I'm more or less on this plan, never had an issue.
Harry N.
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 5
I haven't gone though your list plus all the responses and based on responses on the first page, here's my 2 cents
1. down/puffy jacket w hood (highly recommended) + rain shell (no need for goretex etc as it adds wt.)
2. Black Diamond has some good light wt backpacks. I switched from Gregory to BD 2 yrs back and like it.
Max K.
user 8482990
Saint Helena, CA
Post #: 8
"The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide" by Andrew Skurka has a lot of great info on gear selection. I already knew a lot about UL gear before reading it, but I still picked some tips that were new to me. I enjoyed it a lot and plowed through it in one day.
On a side note, I'm thinking of hiking the PCT in 2014 and would love to do some hikes like the TRT or JMT this summer as practice. If you're interested in having some company, I'd love to discuss it (I can provide plenty of references) :-)
Happy Hiking!
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 6
Truly, many thanks to all for your feedback!

@Max I'd love to do some prep trips. Let's use this group to plan some trips to the Sierras late Spring! It seems the snow pack is relatively low and we'll be able to get out sooner.
A former member
Post #: 3
Like Max said, Skurka's book is good, actually I am doing one of his fundamental trips to learn more about some of his practices and thoughts. Mike Mcllean(spelling) also has a really good book. I would contemplate ditching stuff sacks and use a trash compactor bag as a inner pack liner for keeping things dry and for an overall lighter weight.

If you are considering at all going even lighter, I purchased the bug bivy from Borah Gear and use it with either my tarp/poncho or tarp and it still only weighs approximately between 12 and 18 ounces for a solid sleeping system.