addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › Head lamp recommendations?

Head lamp recommendations?

Kate
user 12361480
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 14
Looking for a recommendation for a good headlamp. Mine always seems to be the dimmest when I'm out with a group. I'm looking for a headlamp with adjustable strength, flood and spot lights, and also the red light option. I'll be using it for camping/backpacking, and some night bike riding. I'll also be using it for reading, so I don't want one of the headlamps with the battery packs in the back.

Thanks!
Kate
Eric H.
user 7994813
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 269
Kate

I agree with the Red light it is extremely useful for not loosing your night vision. I use it all them time. My favorite head lamp is not made any more but here is my close second. Little pricey and a few more ounces then most but worth it.

Storm
White 100 - 25 lumens
Redlamp

http://www.rei.com/pr...­
A former member
Post #: 17
My ultimate choice:

http://www.walmart.co...­

Simple and practical. Has just enough power and longevity (not a button cell toy, nor a supercharged eye-burner), optimal head balance, softly focused spot is good for both hike and campsite, ONE button with a SINGLE function: on/off. Tried many, including expensive gismos, and this one beats them all. Available online - never saw in retail: got mine from riteaid.com .
Kate
user 12361480
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 15
Thanks guys, I was leaning toward the 'storm' as it seems to have everything I want. I'll check it out at the REI sale!
Justin
user 17988341
Campbell, CA
Post #: 25
I have done a lot of research on this and I love the remix pro. Very light, great flood (wide part of beam) and throw (beam itself/distance of light)too.

Uses CR123 batt which works great since I use steripen which is CR123. Good to keep batteries the same.

Any other questions, pm/email me.
Sara
sarazadi
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 11
The lightest option is the Petzl elite. I believe it has everything you mention, weighs in at an ounce, and includes a whistle!
Chuck D.
user 92441492
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Check out the Black Diamond Spot. I used mine to night hike 4 miles in rough terrain. Runs on AAA's. Has a floodlight, spotlight, red lights and a strobe. All for $40.