addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › Backcountry ski/snowboarding tomorrow and Thursday at Lassen?

Backcountry ski/snowboarding tomorrow and Thursday at Lassen?

Richard B.
Richard_Bothwell
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 41
Hey,

I know it's short notice, but I am going up to Lassen to check out the snow conditions tomorrow and Thursday. I am going with another guide for the Outdoor Adventure Club, and we'd be stoked to have a third (or fourth) person come with us. We'll be riding on the equivalent of blue and black terrain, in open bowls as well as trees.

In addition to the riding, we'll be checking snow stability. If you've taken an avalanche course and want some experience digging pits and making terrain decisions this will be a great opportunity.

We'll be staying in a cabin Thursday night and driving to the trailhead each day for day trips in the park.

I am heading to Tahoe tonight, then to Lassen early in the morning, and returning to Tahoe on Thursday evening. I am happy to give you a ride, or you can meet us up at Lassen in the morning.

Skiers or splitboarders are welcome to join in. In addition to backcountry skis/snowboard you'd need a beacon/shovel/probe. I have a set available for rent if that's all that's holding you back.

You should always know your partners when you go into the backcountry. Here's a little background- Kevin and I both have AIARE level II avy training and are Wilderness First Responders. We both have extensive backcountry experience, and I've been guiding BC ski/snowboard trips for over 10 years, completed the AMGA Backcountry Ski Guide Course, and I am a Level I avy instructor.

Let me know if you want to join us tomorrow. It should be fun!

Richard Bothwell
Outdoor Adventure Club

Miles
user 5685298
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 7
Richard,
Wow! That was short notice. Sometimes on this kind of stuff you can get more response by e-mailing people directly. Just page through the member list a bit and you can find people who say they're interested in backcountry skiing in their descriptions.