addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Backcountry Buddies Message Board › North Lake 3 or 4 day

North Lake 3 or 4 day

frank
user 9194737
Alameda, CA
Post #: 4
Hi Miles,.

Although only on the 'wait list' I'll give some feedback. I think the N. Lake- S. Lake loop is a great trail, It is not that easy. I would leave a shuttle car at S. Lake if possible on the way. The first day would involve about 12 miles over Paiute Pass to the bridge intersection with the JMT. There maybe some aclimazation issues depending on the Group. This can really happen to anyone at anytime but should be considered. From there I would aim for camping the second night at Evolution Lake. There is a 'little island' on the West End with great camping and the view West down the drainage (at Sunset) is fantastic. From there over Muir Pass to Bishop Pass and up to Drusy Meadows. Not sure how far you can get on the third day so how much of Drusy Basin you would actually get to explore would depend on that. Evolution Valley is beautiful, Muir Pass also. Long hike down La Conte Canyon but is easier SOBO than going North.

That being said I have done this trip several times and would be more interested in the 3 day option with X-Country. However if the Groups wishes the 4 Day go for it. It is a fantastic route. One of the great loop routes of the Sierra.
Miles
user 5685298
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 11
Actually the plan is to cut about 10-15 miles off the trip by going cross county over Alpine Col. I don't think the lower part of Evolution Valley is that interesting. Probably camp the first day at Muriel lake making it a short first day, 7 miles or so. Second day over the couloir and down into the valley, camp someplace before Muir pass, maybe 10 miles. Third day over muir pass and into Dusy Basin, another 10-11 miles. Fourth day over Bishop pass and back to the car shuttle probably 8 miles.

At the moment all of the replies I've received are leaning towards the 4 day option.
frank
user 9194737
Alameda, CA
Post #: 5
Sounds good.
Lena
user 8440242
Oakland, CA
Post #: 1
How much, if any, snow is there on some of these passes?
frank
user 9194737
Alameda, CA
Post #: 14
Trip is in August so there will be little if any.

I went over Kersarge Pass ( Onion Valley, Independence) on May 26 and snow level was around 10500 feet. There was still snow on North Slopes and in the forrest areas but much of the area was clear. Even in the snowy areas you could follow the trail.