The Pune Emacs Users Group Message Board › Suggestions for the next meetup (15.02.2013)

Suggestions for the next meetup (15.02.2013)

Vedang M.
user 41617122
Group Organizer
Pune, IN
Post #: 3
Hi All,

We are looking for session suggestions to conduct the next session of the Pune Emacs Users Group (scheduled for 15.02.2013).

If you are interested in conducting a session, we'd like to hear your proposal on that too.

Discussion will be closed on Friday, 01st Feb 2013 and the agenda of the next session will be published on Monday, 4th Feb 2013.

Thanks,
Organizers, PEG
Navin K.
user 12904327
Pune, IN
Things I can talk about:
- Using notmuch + emacs for email (local email; fast searches; everything inside emacs)

Things I'd like someone else to talk about:
- Using emacs as an IDE: completion; error high-lighting; compile; run; test; version control. Tips/tricks/best practices.
- What's in my .emacs: just a session where various people talk about what they have in their .emacs

Gaurav J.
user 14816531
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 1
Probably a session on how to modify the .emacs.d properly, how to make sense of errors which are generated if you load a faulty emacs config and Introduction to Elisp.
Shakthi
user 8233368
Chennai, IN
How long are the sessions? I can do a session on emacs and magit (to begin with). Just for information, February 15-17, 2013 is GNUnify 2013, Pune:.

http://gnunify.in/...­
Vedang M.
user 41617122
Group Organizer
Pune, IN
Post #: 4
Hi Navin,

Personally, I'm very much for a session of emacs + email, but here are a few observations from the first meetup:

1. Not many people turned up.

I didn't expect a very big turnup because Emacs is fairly esoteric, but I think it was further exacerbated by the fact that I tagged it as an 'intermediate' session.

2. Most of the crowd was just beginning their Emacs journey.

I'd like to build the community a little before we conduct an emacs + email session, because otherwise it won't benefit too many people.

I'm hoping we'll be able to conduct an Emacs + Email session in March or April.

Hi Gaurav,

I'll keep your suggestion in mind. Showing off some generic emacs configuration, along with a talk on elisp is a great idea. We can also have a "Emacs as an IDE" session for a particular language (python, C, etc) as suggested by Navin.

Hi Shakthi,

An Emacs + Magit session sounds great. Also, thanks for bringing the GNUnify dates to my attention, I'll change the Emacs meetup dates accordingly. Will you be willing to conduct this as the next session? I'm aiming for hour (-ish) long talks (+ QA). In that case, lets discuss the details.

/vedang
Gaurav J.
user 14816531
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 2
I vote for a hands on session.
Navin K.
user 12904327
Pune, IN
Post #: 4

I'd like to build the community a little before we conduct an emacs + email session, because otherwise it won't benefit too many people.

Good point.