addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Thinkers' Club Message Board › Book Suggestion for April

Book Suggestion for April

A former member
Post #: 6
Since we've started the group with two works of political philosphy, I'd like to suggest one more for April: Locke's Two Treatises of Civil Government. We would finally read a political philospher who argued for freedom, equality and private property.
Brian
brian_t
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Post #: 9
While I consider Locke's divine foundation for individual rights to be unsound, I cannot deny his historical importance. Two Treatises shouldn't be considered one work - it is in fact two separate works that were lumped together for contemporary popular appeal. If we are going to read Locke, we may be better off sticking with the Second Treatise, since that is the one concerned with the foundations of individual rights. His First Treatise is a point-by-point refutation of Filmer's Patriarcha, or the Natural Power of Kings, and may be harder to follow if the reader is not familiar with the content of Patriarcha. It may also be a waste of time for modern Americans to read a text concerned with convincing the reader of the faults of monarchy. wink
A former member
Post #: 7
True the First Treatise isn't important philosophy, but I've always loved its indignant tone. But the Second Treatise is the one that deserves serious study.

If you find it Locke's defense of individual rights unsound, whose do you think is sound?