The Thinkers' Club Message Board › Top Ten Moral Dilemmas

Top Ten Moral Dilemmas

Amy
user 8342056
Twinsburg, OH
Post #: 22

My father found this on the internet for this church group discussions. I thought it would be cool to propose maybe a topic (for future meetups) and then select a book that would attempt to propose a solution....what do you guys think?? Here are a list of moral delimmas for your consideration and debate:

http://listverse.com/...­
Brian
brian_t
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Post #: 22
From my understanding, morality is only possible where people can live freely among eachother - at least, where it's possible to live freely. Several of these are so-called "life boat" scenarios, in which people are pitted against eachother in an irresolvable conflict in which at least one of them must die. There are no rational resolutions to the problem. Whatever action is taken is amoral - neither moral nor immoral. While you may be able to conclude, "every man for himself!", such situations are of no use as a starting point for ethical principles, and their results have no impact outside the context of the contrived situation.
Amy
user 8342056
Twinsburg, OH
Post #: 24
Are you saying that one has no freedom in a situation where the decision is a difficult one to make? I agree that the scenerios are extreme, but what exactly is the threshold between being "free" and "unfree" then? One can argue that almost everyone is both free and unfree in any given situation just depending upon how you define the term free. Please clarify.
Brian
brian_t
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Post #: 25
Rational decisions in such situations are not merely difficult, but impossible. Freedom means the lack of physical force or threat of force from another individual, yet the nature of these situations requires that people be forced or threatened with force by eachother. These situations do not apply to normal (non-emergency) life, because they assume that the universe is malevolent, ie that a free society in which people are not naturally pitted against eachother is not possible. In normal life, the violation of others' rights is not necessary for your survival.