addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The 912 Project-Nebraska Message Board › Wow what a suprise thinking of fairness...............Irony

Wow what a suprise thinking of fairness...............Irony

Jeffrey A R.
Omaha, NE
Post #: 671
Senator Ben Nelson's E-Update
June 13, 2012

Fairness for Taxpayers and All Ranchers
Yesterday, I proposed an amendment to the 2012 Farm Bill that not only provides fairness for ranchers and farmers, but saves taxpayers more than $1.2 billion over the next decade.

Today, just 2% of the nation's livestock producers receive taxpayer-funded subsidies for grazing on public land, allowing them to graze their livestock far below the market value that other producers are paying to utilize private land. According to the University of Nebraska's Agricultural Economics Department, producers in northwest Nebraska pay an average of $30 per cow per month to graze on private land. Meanwhile, the 2% of ranchers utilizing public land for grazing pay a mere $1.35 per cow per month.

Nebraskans value fairness, and I believe it's a matter of fairness to level this playing field and eliminate federal subsidies to this elite group of livestock producers.

This is why I proposed an amendment that would require fees for grazing private livestock on public rangelands to be set at a rate comparable to private grazing land rates within the region. It's not only fair, it's fiscally responsible.

To read more about my amendment, please click here.

To hear my floor speech introducing the amendment, please click here.
Charlotte J.
Norfolk, NE
Post #: 496
Nelson's version of logic never fails to overwhelm me. (sic)