The 912 Project-Nebraska Message Board › Testimony Regarding Proposed Nebraska English Standards

Testimony Regarding Proposed Nebraska English Standards

Darlene E.
user 14539080
Omaha, NE
Post #: 394
The student is expected to:

(C) EXPOSITORY RESEARCH PAPER

Write an expository research paper (on a contemporary issue) containing internal documentation and works cited/reference page using MLA, APA, or CMS guides.

Additional writing standards are prescribed in Grade 11 – English III. For example:

(6) Composition. Using various forms, the student writes for a variety of audiences and for a variety of purposes.

The student is expected to:

A) Compose combinations of the four writing modes (e.g., persuasive, expository, narrative, descriptive) as needed for particular tasks, purposes, audiences.

C) Write persuasive compositions which defend or refute a thesis position with relevant examples and supporting details, using persuasive strategies…

Grade 11 – English III continues the writing practice for the various types.

(E) PERSUASIVE/DESCRIPTIVE COMPOSITION

Produce a persuasive/descriptive composition:

CONCLUSION

I am proposing that Nebraska adopt the English Success Standards, in-whole or in-part. By adopting the whole document, we can be assured that the scope and sequence is correct for all of the elements.

When I applied the Stotsky Guidelines to the English Success Standards, I found that the Standards are very rigorous. I would give the English Success Standards a grade of "A."

Also, I checked the English Success Standards for adequate coverage of phonemic awareness and English grammar/usage. The Standards scored extremely high in both areas.

I strongly recommend that the Nebraska Department of Education and the State Board of Education adopt the English Success Standards. By doing so, Nebraska‘s students and teachers will become real winners!

English Success Standards.doc
Darlene E.
user 14539080
Omaha, NE
Post #: 395
COMMON CORE: HOW 'NONPROFITS' REAPED MILLIONS
Common Core State Standards (CCSS) proponents frequently use the talking point that the standards initiative was “state-led.” A group of governors (National Governors Association Center) and state school officers are often said to have coordinated the standards. Read full article here: http://www.breitbart....­

This is a must read article.

A closer look, however, reveals that several “nonprofit” education companies drove the Common Core initiative while being flooded with millions of dollars from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Corestandards.org, the official website of this group of governors and state school officers, emphasizes the talking point that the standards were “state-led,” though that claim has been called “fiction” by Common Core experts such as historian and researcher Dr. Mercedes Schneider.
The current-day website of the group states the following in its “Frequently Asked Questions” section:
Glen F.
user 11731625
Springfield, NE
Post #: 208
TABLE 1 — ENGLISH SUCCESS STANDARDS — READING & WRITING

From this Table, we can see that the English Success ...
Darlene, can you upload this document to the Files section of this forum? The graphics aren't being displayed. If you can't, email it to me and I'll give it a try.
Darlene E.
user 14539080
Omaha, NE
Post #: 398
I couldn't get the graphics to display right. If you e-mail Henry Burke directly he might be able to get a better link E-mail: hwburke@cox.net My computer skills are quite limited. Henry has tons of information on Common Core and how bad it is for our children and the state.
https://us-mg6.mail.y...­

http://www.educationv...­
Glen F.
user 11731625
Springfield, NE
Post #: 209
Thanks Darlene, this helps.