The 912 Project-Nebraska Message Board › Continental Congress?

Continental Congress?

Andrew
4capitalism
Omaha, NE
Post #: 550
Anyone heard about this?

http://freedom.tv/cc0...­
Michael P.
on69triumph
Group Organizer
Council Bluffs, IA
Post #: 1,128
They've been working on this a long time, I think I heard about their website back in June or July. Kind of silly actually. Almost laughable the way the announcer keeps citing how historic for America it is. These people are not representatives of anyone, except in their own minds. The trumpets and horns are so over the top, usually reserved for Wide World of Sports or Olympic coverage. Reminds me of a Renaissance fair or a Star Trek convention. The pomp and circumstance is only rivaled by the opening ceremony for the Copenhagen Summit going on. They all seem very patriotic, but really, who do these people think they are? An opening prayer that turns into a sermon, the national anthem (all verses that nobody knows) that goes on for another 20 minutes. I'm sorry, I couldn't get past the build-up to my country 'tis of thee.

A former member
Post #: 122
I dont agree Michael what they are doing is an effort
Michael P.
on69triumph
Group Organizer
Council Bluffs, IA
Post #: 1,136
These people are Psychotic. Those aren't my words, those are the words of the so called "president" of this fiasco. He tells people to sit down and shut up, there are too many opinions in the body. It's laughable. Then he call them "psychotic". These are truly weird people that have delusions of grandeur. They are power hungry psychos.

Andrew
4capitalism
Omaha, NE
Post #: 560
Michael Badnarik was Libertarian Party nominee for President in 2004 and he recently suffered a heart attack.
I can understand the skepticism as it is connected to the We the People Foundation. However, the Continental Congress can bring forth some interesting results in challenging government.

A former member
Post #: 852
A Continental Congress may be a last ditch effort. As I understand it, the Governor must initiate the action??? If I am right (about the Governor), clearly Dave Heineman couldn't be any more primed to start the action now, with Nelson's folly to accuse him of wanting Nelson to vote for Obamacare. I'm just sayin'...
Michael P.
on69triumph
Group Organizer
Council Bluffs, IA
Post #: 1,137
Article V of the Constitution allows for the legislature of the several states to Convene in order to propose changes (amendments). Two thirds must agree to move for an application for a Convention, and three fourths must agree to ratify. This is where the powers of the States can bypass the federal Congress.

These people in this "Continental Congress" are neither part of any State legislature, or elected by anyone. They are self appointed wackos that have no legal or constitutional validity whatsoever.

That being said, I do think that an actual Convention of the States is something that should be pursued vigorously. Our federal representatives are not listening to, or representing us.

First, a goal, and purpose for a convention must be decided, and agreed upon, then each State has to have its citizens start a relentless effort to petition their State Legislators to move toward Application of Convention. Then, the Governors of two thirds of the States must agree to, and form the Convention, and present a case that three fourths of the States will ratify. The amendment(s) or repeals better be effective and powerful for what it takes for this to happen. With the climate today, the blatant dismissal of the Constitution by the feds, and the anger of the people, this may not seem as unreasonable a path as once has. However, these people in this "Continental Congress" are no more than a dog and pony show for their own delusional egos, and they are having people that are searching for a solution thinking they are providing something of substance. They are not, and it will detract from any real solutions being pursued.
A former member
Post #: 130
Some valid points you make
Richard E.
Conservative_Vet
Plattsmouth, NE
Post #: 419
Michael: you're spot on. This only "muddies the waters". I prefer using that Constitution "thingy". It really works!
Jeffrey A R.
Checkeredsquare
Omaha, NE
Post #: 115
Michael these kinds of discussions always remind me of when I was talking to Chuck our former senator. I was angry at what I was hearing but later realized that he was probably very right and that I was just impatient. At the time we discussed the Marriage amendment to the constitution. This was before his 1st year in office was over. At that time I think he had a better feel for the movement and its progress in the 50 states. There were not that many states calling for this not enough legislatures involved. Now I think may be the time. But discussions like this make me realize that we may not be able to control the event once seated.

I hope I am not confusing the con con and how they would deal with ammendments if they were really legit.